• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Hub assembly...need some help...

95RedCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to tackle changing out my hub assembly on the front of my 95 cherokee sport 4x4. I need to know the size of teh axle nut so I can go rent a socket to fit it. I'm pretty usre it's a 12 pt socket too, and I cant find those anywhere around here....Anyone got any ideas on how to remove this and know what size/type this axle nut is?

TIA!

36mm 6 point will be fine

Ok, well the 36mm 6 point is too small. Any ideas? Here is the nut I need to remove...

jeepaxlenutit6.jpg

Got it done within like 45 minutes after my last post. Rides a lot better and no scary wobbling sounds! lol. THe new hub recommended 180ft-lbs, so that is what I tqd it to.

When I replaced mine I torqued to 215 ft/lbs (me @ 215lbs standing on the breaker bar on one foot).

Tight is good....

:D

I always used to over torque mine too, thought was tigter the better, BUT later found out to much load on the bearing was causing them to fail prematurely. was changing hubs on a k1500 with 33s every 6 months. gotta love napa and that lifetime warranty. I always torque mine to rec specs now, no trouble yet!

Yep - not TOO tight on bearings! The axle nut preloads the wheel bearings, just like the spindle nuts used to on older vehicles...

I torque mine to 90 pound-feet after applying never-seez. Haven't had one fail yet, and it's a LOT easier to do than the 175 pound-feet for "clean, dry" threads...

5-90

Back