• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator and electric fans

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clogged 2 core CSF radiator in my XJ along with 2 Hayden electric fans. I am getting a 3 core CSF and I want to get SPAL electric fans to replace the Hayden ones.
So a few inquaries are needed before I begin next week.
#1 Will a 3 core CSF still work with dual electric fans?
#2 Do the fans need to be push or pull?
#3 Are curved blades better than straight?
#4 Any special brackets,adapters,etc I will need to design and machine?

BTT

I dont know much about the 3 core radiator, i have a NAPA 2 core and i have been very happy with it. 2 Core is actually better then 3 when your not moving very fast. Seems odd, but it makes since because of the size of the tubing...

Stock fan on the XJ's are pull... i dont see a reason to change that. A puller fan is going to be more efficient because of area restrictions behind the fans (Engine brackets etc..)

Curved fan blades are definetly better then straight... i dont even see how straight blades would move much air... seems it would just cut through the air doing nothing. A curved blade "grabs" the air and pulls or pushes it depending on the direction of the blade.

Ive got twin electric fans thanks to Go-Jeeps writeups. Kept the factory fan, and installed a Ford Taurus fan where the mechanical fan used to be. Not really much fab needed, just a peice of angled sheet metal to attach the fan to the top "crossmember" or radiator support. I cut smaller peices of this angled sheet metal to attach the bottom of the fan to the frame... seems to work fantastic. Thats about as far as my experience goes with twin electric fans.

Hope that helps.

All other things being equal, straight blades move more air but curved blades are quieter.

I can see a straight fan blade moving more air in a blower application like a centrifugal fan, ... but not in a push/pull application.
Could you imagine a ceiling fan with flat blades?

BAH!!!! its late... i guess i mistaked the meaning of "curved" and "straight / flat" You must not be talking about the angle of the blade itself but the actual curvature. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
2 Core is actually better then 3 when your not moving very fast. Seems odd, but it makes since because of the size of the tubing...

I don't see this - do other people agree?

I experienced a dramatic improvement in low speed cooling after installing a 3-core, as did several other people I know who were having cooling problems. Of course, we were all going from old, possibly damaged 2-cores to new 3-cores, so I'll admit that's not the same as comparing to a new 2-core.

But still, it seems to me that, all other things being equal, the critical factor is surface area exposure, and the smaller tubes on the three core will expose the coolant more on a single pass through the radiator.

What's the rationale for saying 2-core is better?

2-row and 3-row, from what i have seen, have just about the same amount of tubes in them. The 2 row however has bigger tubes, and more room between them compared to a 3 row. This is critical at low speeds when relying on fans to move the air instead of the natural force of the Jeep when it is moving.
If this was a race Jeep, or another vehicle designed to move at high speed, the 3-row will out perform the 2-row everytime. This only really applies to us who climb hills / rocks etc... moving at a very slow speed under a load.

I have the three row, right now in winter the fans never come on. Also I did the flow restrictor as detailed in GoJeeps's website.

And i have the 2 row NAPA relacement, and i have the same set-up and results. You will only see the difference when wheeling.
Either way they are both going to be great in the Jeep since they are new and flow well. Just all depends on what you have planned for your Jeep, and how much money you want to spend.
Why do you think Go-Jeep himself switched from a 3-row to a 2-row??

Muad'Dib said:
And i have the 2 row NAPA relacement, and i have the same set-up and results. You will only see the difference when wheeling.
Either way they are both going to be great in the Jeep since they are new and flow well. Just all depends on what you have planned for your Jeep, and how much money you want to spend.
Why do you think Go-Jeep himself switched from a 3-row to a 2-row??

X2 so true.

Thanks everyone for the imput so far. Time too go to the drawing board again =)

Well I finally got the new radiator and dual electric fans installed.
I ended up with a 3row CSF radiator which I got takin to the cleaners for, because I wanted a new one now. I installed two 12" SPAL fans into the XJ and they pull 1230CFM (better than the 800CFM of the pervious Hayden P.O.S)
lll put some pictures up as soon as I can.

Moot now but, a local radiator shop owner (who does alot of jeep stuff and runs tours) steered me to a 2-row a few years ago when I wanted a 3-row. Said they cool better, more fin area or tubes, cant remember which.

Re; SPAL fans, is that 1230 CFM per fan or total? Part number? Does anyone know the CFM rating on the OEM unit?

Its 1230CFM per SPAL fan.

Did you ever get any pics?

I'm getting ready to install a new CSF 3-row in my '96 XJ due to a cracked OE Radiator. I've never had any cooling problems, but I don't offroad my XJ much or put it under heavy loads. Just need to replace the leaking OE Rad.

He may have gotten pics, but he totalled his rig a couple of days ago, so its all pretty moot now. :/

Back