• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 cherokee ,a/t,4.0 liter with a 4" procomp lift, I have some vibes at 50km/h and again at 90 km/h. I am thinking of installing a section of 2" square tubing between my trasfer case crossmember and the frame rails to (help) correct mr driveshaft angles. Is this too thick?I know this is the band aid repair,I have to save What size do they use in the trasfer case kit (the one you pay for? Thanks All!

I installed a Re 3.5" lift and installed 3/4" spacers that eliminated all driveline vibes. However I still consider this a temporary fix as it does expose the transfer case by lowering it and it still uses the slip yoke driveshaft. Eventually I will install a sye and custom driveshaft. They cost around 500.00 which is not bad if you got the money. One thing I did notice was that when I am driving around 70 mph and let up suddenly on the throttle, I get a grinding noise from the rear end. I think the rear end needs to be shimmed to adjust the driveline angle, something I was told I woulnd't have to do with only a 3.5" lift and tc spacers.

The one i made was out of 1x2 rect. tubing. though some are made out of 1-1/4 or 1-1/2. A 4deg shim will pretty much make the rear ujoint angle straight

I installed a tapered 2 inch block in the rear leafs that corrected my rear u-joint angle and I'm hoping this t/c drop will help with the front u- joint angle. The cost of a heavy duty sye kit (not the hack and tap) and a custom cv driveshaft is $924 cnd + taxes, so I'm gonna have to save my pennies for a while. Thanks for the input ! :)

Depending on the rearend you have you may be able to take the route Idid with my '89.

I stated with an RE 3.5 SuperFlex kit and had no vibe issues. After the rear springs settled in I needed a little boost in the rear to levle things out after adding all my junk to the Jeep. I installed a Rocky Road 1.5" Shackle. Hello vibes.

Rather than guess with shims, spacers, etc I ordered a SYE and 231 overhaul kit from PORC for a bit under $300 shipped. Did the rebuild/SYE on a spare TC and installed it in the Jeep using a spare (where do I get all these spares?) front driveshaft. The DS was from a 242 equipped XJ so it was quite well blanced before everyone gets on that topic.

With the D35 I had, the slip joint was pretty well maxed out extension-wise, but fortunatley this was temporary as the D44 was being overhauled and installed in a week.

With the D44 and this combo I have NO vibes regardless of speed, the DS angles are right where they need to be, and I have a pretty fresh tcase to boot.

It's not as cheap or as "easy" as a tcase drop or shims, but I don't worry about my junk busting because I took an easier path (not a criticism).

If you can afford to take a similar approach I encourage it, otherwise a 3/4-1" tcase drop and some shims for now would be good advice until you can afford to SYE it.

HTH

EDIT: BTW if you have angle problem with your front driveshaft, a tcase lowering kit will make them WORSE, not better. The tcase lowering kit is designed to address rear DS angles at the expense of front DS angles.

I went with a 1" shim, vibes are gone and the front joint of the rear shafts is at a good angle, as well as the rear. Why is this regarded as a temporary or improper fix?Other than the t/c hanging down a little futher it seems like a good fix.

Back