• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 -231 swap questions

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok I searched and found some answers but I still have a couple of questions.

I have 2 96' XJ's, both are 4.0/AW4. One has the the 242 and the other is a 231 I want to swap the cases Jeep to Jeep.

I know the cases swap just fine and I will need to swap the linkages, driveshafts, and shifter bezels.

Is there anything else I need to know/do?

Before everyone asks: The 242 is in my new trail rig and I really want the 231 in it that is in my old trail rig(the 231 has the AA HD SYE and 2-low kit). My old trail rig is going back down to a small lift and smaller tires and will be driven by my teenage son, so the 242 case will be good for him to use in the snow/ice and mild off roading.

Same year, same tranny... I can't think of any obstacles. Swap the shift gates from the consoles too, and the bezels. You may need to swap driveshafts due to slight variations in case lengths, and potentially you could have some electronics issues if the full-time pigtail isnt on your part time rig, but otherwise should be a breeze...

I'm 90% sure that the electronics will match up. When I was still trying to figure out what all was in my jeep, I noticed with some confusion that the "full-time" light is on my panel - just not my transfer case...
It should all bolt up and plug in.

Back