• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Leak

liljoe71

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear oil pan leak between the transmission and the engine. It looks as if its the rear main seal. My question is can you remove the oil pan without having to lift the engine from the motor mounts? I am planning on dropping the tranny and replacing the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc. While I do this I want to take advantage of fixing the leak. By the way I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee inline 6 and 5 speed tranny (AX15).

Lil Joe71

Its really not that hard. You should be fine if you raise the body so the front axel will give more clearance. If you have a stock exhaust you gotta take off the manifold-to-cat pipe. Drain oil. Then the oil pan bolts come out, pry pan off. Rear main bearing cap needs to come off. If I were you, I'd get a chilton manual (if you dont have one) becuase its got the detailed procedure on removing the rear seal and installing the new one. Its a good idea to do all the work at once, becuase your gonna be down their anyway!

I tried to do it the Chilton way by pulling the pan out the back, but there wasn't enough room on mine. I undid the panhard bar, sway bar and the drag link and slid it out to the front.
While you are there, open the oil pump and see how worn/scored it is. You have to remove it anyway to get the pan off. The Chiltons tells how to measure the endplay. I went ahead and installed a new pump. Cheap insurance IMO.
Also, pull a rod cap and a main bearing cap to check your bearing wear. Better to find out early.

I was planning on replacing my oil pan gasket and rear main this weekend also. Do you know what the torque spec is for the rear bearing cap?
good luck with yours

before you go to all the trouble, check the valve cover. Alot of the time it is the valve cover leak that looks like the rear main.....and the valve cover is much easier (and cleaner) to replace than the rms.

I changed my valve cover gasket a few weeks ago, no leaks for a couple weeks and now it is pouring again. Basically, whenever I fix an oil leak some other gasket blows and starts pouring. In this case, save the hardest for last.... It's oil pan time. Thanks for the torque specs!!!

Well mine didn't come out and I have 4.5" of lift. I'm going to have to get someone on each side to sand on the tires to make the axle drop just a fuz more. Nasty job for sure.

lol i replaced the valve cover a few times thinkin that was my prob. still leakin oil though. got the rms, just waiting on some nice warm weather to do the job.... thinkin of replacing the pump while im down there too.

no matter what i do the oil press gauge only shows 1/4 pressure ( 1st line from the 0 pressure line). so until im guessing summer gets here im just gonna have to keep an eye on it & adding oil once in a while. dont want to kill the 4.0 until i truely have to. (89 limited 4-door)

Jess said:
before you go to all the trouble, check the valve cover. Alot of the time it is the valve cover leak that looks like the rear main.....and the valve cover is much easier (and cleaner) to replace than the rms.

X2 Double check the VC gasket. You will be pissed if it still leaks after you do the bottom

cracked-butt said:
lol i replaced the valve cover a few times thinkin that was my prob. still leakin oil though. got the rms, just waiting on some nice warm weather to do the job.... thinkin of replacing the pump while im down there too.

no matter what i do the oil press gauge only shows 1/4 pressure ( 1st line from the 0 pressure line). so until im guessing summer gets here im just gonna have to keep an eye on it & adding oil once in a while. dont want to kill the 4.0 until i truely have to. (89 limited 4-door)

have you changed the sending unit?

I got my ole 87 done this weekend...What a pain in the butt. The gasket was like concrete. The rear main seal was hard as a rock, no flexibility at all, no wander it was leaking (pouring). I started it up and let it run for about 10 minutes and so far no leaking.
BTW, the one piece gasket is the only way to go.

Back