• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange clunking from front end

Moose_God

NAXJA Forum User
I already posted this on JF, but didn't get much response... My XJ recently developed a clunking noise from somewhere around the drivers side near the front of the vehicle (I can feel the vibration under the drivers side floorboard) that goes away mysteriously anytime I apply brake pressure. In the past couple of days it has gotten much louder...Has anybody had a similar issue?

Any lift? Bigger tires? From the description sounds like a bad hub. Jack up the front of the XJ and begin looking for any play. Could be a CA bushing or a bolt coming loose :scared:

I had that happening to me only it was the passenger side rear.. did it when backing up and on the brakes. It sounded like the jeep was going to fly apart and you could feel it through the body. It was a mudflap bracket that had been tweaked and was rubbing the tire. Might be it might not be it, just an idea.:huh:

I'm leaning towards a bad hub...I'll check it for play once the snow stops here.

BTW, I'm running a 6" lift, t-case drop, and 33s with an AW4 and a 231 I just swapped in (was a 2wd.) The linkage for the TC isn't hooked up yet, so I was also afraid that maybe it slipped into 4hi, but I don't think this is the case as I can move the front output easily.

Back