• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What all is needed for a 3" lift?

or if you're handy you can relocate the shock mounts like I did!

000_0945.jpg

I ended up ok with brake lines, but longer ones are a good idea. You should probably take the rear hard line out of the bracket if you plan on flexing it a lot.

You should do something about a trackbar, the stock one barely squeaks by at 3". The RE 1600 trackbar is like $150 retail, and worth it at that level of build.

Gotta measure to know for sure. Be good to get some new lca's too, stock ones are allergic to rocks.

Yeah doing it quick and cheap doesnt work well for doing it right. Its usually better to wait. :)

You can do it quick and cheap, but like cal said, it wont be right.

If you're planning on buying a lift later, just save up and wait. You'll get the bigger lift faster if you don't blow money on a crappy 3" lift.

I got by with 3" spacers and relocating the brake lines up front. Kept the stock shocks in the stock location. Was it perfect? No. But did it work? Yes. With the sway bars disco'd and the rear locked, it climber almost anything. I pulled the spacers now and and have RE4.5" springs. You'll love em. Awesome flex and compression but stiff enough to improve handling on road. Now I've still gotta get new shocks and steering, not to mention all the rest of the lift stuff...

x2 on the trackbar.

with 3" lift, the axle will be pulled about an 1" towards the drivers side. sure you can get away without centering it, but the axle is supposed to be centered under the front. some people have reported having DW until they centered it.

OK. I have to chime in.

I have 3" lift springs, 2" teraflex spacers, stock rear leafs w/AAL and 2" blocks laying in my garage. I told Jim he could borrow any configuration he wanted and we could throw it on until he gets his RE 4.5 kit in a "few" months. He is picking up some 30" BFG AT's and wants a little lift to get him by. I told him to just relocate the brake lines and he should be fine since he isn't gonna drive it like that forever. I told him longer shocks would be cool, but he could get away without doing anything major(expensive) and tide him over until the RE kit comes. There is the WHOLE story.

theres a big differance between a 3" kit, and the re 3.5" kit... trac bar wise.....
i have a 3" soft kit(crappy rc kit), and a friend has the RE 3.5 hard 3.5" kit.... both oem tracbars/brackets....my tracbar seems to center my axle fine.... while the re 3.5 is waaay off center....(waiting to redo front lift w/ rk 3link, w/ tnt tracbar/bracket) how much missaligment is 'ok'?
not trying to argue, just stating some experiences

xcm said:
theres a big differance between a 3" kit, and the re 3.5" kit... trac bar wise.....
i have a 3" soft kit(crappy rc kit), and a friend has the RE 3.5 hard 3.5" kit.... both oem tracbars/brackets....my tracbar seems to center my axle fine.... while the re 3.5 is waaay off center....(waiting to redo front lift w/ rk 3link, w/ tnt tracbar/bracket) how much missaligment is 'ok'?
not trying to argue, just stating some experiences

RE 3.5" lift was probably more like 4.5" lift.

even at 3", doesnt matter which kit, the axle will not be centered.

i would say that you would want zero missalignment on centering the front axle.

I will say my axle was off center a little with the 3" and now even more so with the 4.5" and I have been noticing death wobble. It ain't fun! New steering is on the way. I finally ordered a complete lift kit, added HD tie rods (mine have been bent enough times to straighten the wheel back out again...), and will likely add a drop pitman arm as well.

and I have been noticing death wobble.

if you have just been "noticing" death wobble, you haven't actually been through death wobble. that's just a shimmy. While I agree that it is not fun, True death wobble feels like it's going to rip your jeep apart. a friend of mine experienced death wobble at about 55MPH and it broke his tie rod... REALLY not fun!

Back