• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire carrier parts

00Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I seen this homebrew tire carrier a while back and think it would work nice for my daily on 31". I did not like the latch system used in this and don't really know what to use for the spindle. Any help would be appreciated.

1663453248_17c88b60da.jpg

1662595961_7f8f20a622.jpg

1663453754_f94fb8160c.jpg

I wouldn't feel comfortable with only those two supports holding up a support structure and a 31" on steel wheels. That's just me though. Maybe the tubing and/or engineering will reliably support the weight.

I stole these pics from another thread I think on NAXJA. I was planning tube for the hitch mounts and square for everything else. Here is a pic of the latch he used. After posting I did find a source for the latch an spindle. McMasters Carr for the latch and PORC for the spindle. Now I just have to get going on it. Here is a pick of his latch.

1662596607_c1f0c73e5c.jpg

1663453754_f94fb8160c-1.jpg

Thats actually a really good idea! I especially like how it doesnt effect the stock bumper at all. If you want to remove it, just take the hitch off.

Two questions/comments though...

1) Why did they leave the center support so long? I could see if you needed to mount a 3rd brake light..like the TJ guys and the older XJ guys do. But the 97+ are high enough.

2) Where would you mount your lic. plate? Again...The thing that is most attractive about this is how it doesnt require modifying the stock body. So I guess you could mount the plate to the center of the spare wheel, or something, but you'd need to make a light for it, and secure in a way that wont let someone just yank it off.

Just my thoughts... I like it though...

J.

You can go to www.mcmaster.com for the clamps. I searched for latch clamp and a bunch of stuff came up. They will ship stuff to you within 2 days which is awesome. I got my fab parts from www.atozfabrication.com or www.rokmen.com they are both pretty good. I'm sure I'm missing some other places to. I think rockstomper makes a spindle as well

That's my Jeep!!! The guy I bought it from built the tire carrier himself. It is very sturdy and well built and although the latch may not look like much, the carrier is rattle free. The previous owner took the Jeep for a 4000 mile round trip from Chicago to Moab last year and I had it in the mountains of Colorado back in October and the carrier is holding up great.

Do you have any side pics of the tire carrier?

Back