• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Critique my build!

G.Nenzel

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I am just about to put the 3rd suspension under my heep as it goes through puberty on it's way to a chopped juggy if I don't find a cure for my inchitis.

Here is the new plan so far, feel free to comment or offer alternatives.

Starting with a 91 4dr, 4.0 & auto

TNT 5.5" system

95 up 8.8 with TNT truss, Detroit, superior shafts and 4.88's

Currie HP 9" front with ARB & 4.88's

5150's

Allied Beadlocks & 37's

Vanco Hydroboost conversion

Ridgidco winch bumper and Warn HS 9500i (I like the new TNT front too)

Detours Slimline rear bumper

AJ's sliders

Full Interior Cage (welded)

Baja SS seats (remove rear seat)

I want a beefy gas skid but can't seem to find one for 96 down

Some type of high steer, what knuckles would be best for the Currie 9" front?

OK let me have it. What did I miss or screw up?

sould more like a "wish list" to me..

rock rash said:
yeah, why have a 8.8 in the rear and 9" up front

609 all the way

I have the 8.8 already. To be honest, I am waffling between 35's and 37's. I have gone from stock to 30's to 31's to 33's and am worried that 35's will simply end up being another step.

35's are too big for the d30 but 37's are arguably to big for the 8.8. I figured the 9" wouldn't cost much more than a 44. (aftermarket, I don't have the time to build my own) I guess I will have to upgrade the rear at some point anyways, so it might as well be now.

If I went for the 609 and 60 rear would I still be able to use 15" wheels?

G.Nenzel said:
I have the 8.8 already.
Is it geared and locked already? Either way, I don't think you'd lose much money if you sold it.

If you're planning on 37s, I too would recommend something stronger in the rear, and gears lower than 4.88s. Probably 5.38/5.43 gears, unless you have really deep t-case gears, and then maybe 5.13s.

Mambeu said:
Is it geared and locked already? Either way, I don't think you'd lose much money if you sold it.

i wish it was that easy

If you're planning on 37s, I too would recommend something stronger in the rear, and gears lower than 4.88s. Probably 5.38/5.43 gears, unless you have really deep t-case gears, and then maybe 5.13s.[/

an 8.8, especially with alloy shafts is more than capable of handling 37's. you might want to look into Superior's new c-clip eliminator kit. very nice.

No but the brakes are all new and I got the 4.88 R&P set with it. I forgot consider the need for deeper gears with the 37's, which rules out the 8.8 anyways.

G.Nenzel said:
No but the brakes are all new and I got the 4.88 R&P set with it. I forgot consider the need for deeper gears with the 37's, which rules out the 8.8 anyways.

why because it needs a regear? you can go lower than 4.88

Nice plans. Congrats on the Membership.(important mod to show real commitment)

Go with the 9's front and rear. 5.38's for 37's at least. Gearing is the 8.8's weakness. If you use Currie's high pinion 9", it has reverse cut 8.8 gears. You'll run into limitations there too. Low pinion or TrueHi 9.(that's on my wish list)

xj4life is right about a different axle costing a lot more.

Skid Row has a tank skid for you. I have the '97+ skid and it rocks. They definitely have a pre '97 skid. Ask Jared at Rocky Road Outfitters about them. He's xjblue on NAXJA.

Don't you love all the opinions floating around this place.

edit: I guess it's only the reverse cut 8.8's that have a limitation on gears then...

Well I have some more thinking to do on the axles, I didn't know you could get 5.14's for the 8.8. I had heard about the new Superior kit but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it available now?

I ordered the Skid Row gas skid, thanks for the tip, it is exactly what I was looking for.

G.Nenzel said:
Well I have some more thinking to do on the axles, I didn't know you could get 5.14's for the 8.8. I had heard about the new Superior kit but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it available now?

not sure. i think its been offically released, it was in Petersons 4 Wheel and Offroad this month. might have to contact Superior directly.

G.Nenzel said:
Well I have some more thinking to do on the axles, I didn't know you could get 5.14's for the 8.8.

It's the Currie HP front that you can't get deep gears for.

Yea, I went back to Curries site and saw that. No Currie HP 9 then, I will have to find something else.

But I did see the Super 88 article and am going to order a kit as soon as I can find one. C-clip eliminator, 4340 shafts and it add's an 1 1/2" to the width bringing it back to stock size. Perfect! I am getting 5:14's and a Detroit as well.

That will keep me busy while I figure out the front.

I'd run a spool in the rear if you ditch the 8.8 and deeper gears if you go 37s

any time..:thumbup:
G.Nenzel said:
Thanks for your valuable input.

Back