• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock sensor

indyjeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
How important is the knock sensor mounted on the drives side of the block just above the oil pan? Mine is broken and I was wandering if it was worth replacing or not?

Thanks

Andy

indyjeepnut said:
How important is the knock sensor mounted on the drives side of the block just above the oil pan? Mine is broken and I was wandering if it was worth replacing or not?

Thanks

Andy
I don't know how important it is, but it does keep the engine from knocking. PM me. I think I have one kicking around here; if I can find it you can have it.

if your xj is running good, its not really needed. its nice to have, but should be fine without it. later models dont even have them. it retards the timing a few degrees when/if the engine knocks under load. does your engine knock under load with it disconnected?

i replaced mine a few years but it your call whether you need to and if its worth it.

Advance Auto sells the GP Sorensen replacement, it looks a little different but bolts right in. About $60 if I remember correctly.

My K sensor got knocked off (LOL:laugh:) before I bought the jeep 3 years ago, its the only thing I have not replaced on this beast since I bought it, and I have yet to miss it. I don't think 5-90 uses one either.

Mine has never knocked either. It does make every other noise under the sun, but it does not and has not ever knocked or pinged, so I see no need for it.

Matthew Currie said:
Ice storm has stopped, sand truck just went by, and of course I do have a Jeep, so it should be in mail today.

I would like to thank Mr Currie. He shipped me a knock sensor and he even paid the shipping. I will pay this favor forward.

Thanks again

Andy

Back