• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shift pointsng and 31's

DubaiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After fitting 31's my shift point dropped to about 4300 rpm in all gears. Shifting seems smooth, with no slip, just at lower RPM than before.

I didn't pay much attention to it because I figured that the control unit might be a bit "confused" with the larger tyres and I was planning to fit 4.10 R&P's a few weeks later.

4.10's are now in, as well as changing the speedo gear (for what that's worth) but no change in the shift point - Still at about 4300 rpm. I've earthed the ECU to clear the memory.

I've read through an excellent AW4 thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12575 but I am wondering whether I've missed something relating to the lift and larger tires or if it is purely coincidence and I have a tranny problem.

Andre

yours gets to 4300? During normal driving I doubt my RPM's ever climb above 3500. Doubt that it is a tranny problem, my buddy rebuilds them and says that you have to do some really crazy stuff to even think about doing even minor damage to one.

DubaiXJ said:
4300 rpm too high?

At WOT I would expect a shift from say, 1st to 2nd at just below the redline...

Andre

sure at WOT.

but from 1st to 2nd under normal driving acceleration, 4300rpm is high.

i must have missed where he was talking about shift points at WOT?

I think he is talking about if he just floors it like he is dragging it in the quarter. then i would expect it to shift higher. But most people on this board are not going to drive like that so we assume he is talking about a normal driving situation.

either way, shift points have alot to do with the function of the tps. that would be where i would look first.

Back