• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb radio install problems

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my new cobra cb in my 1992 Cherokee. When I hooked up the SWR meter it was pegged all the way in the red reading 10 or higher on channels 1, 20, and 40. Also I used the built in SWR meter in the cb to verify that the New meter I bought was working and it also pegged in the red.
My cb setup consists of a new cobra cb (I can't remember the model no.), a new 3ft Firestik antennae with tuneable tip, and a Firestik roof mount kit with their recommended 18 ft. coax cable. Also there is no binding in the coax. All the excess is loose laid above the headliner. Anybody know why it reads so high. I'm new to the whole cb thing and could use the help before I have to pay someone to fix it. Thanks.

I may be wrong about the number reading. But it definately pegged all the way to the right in the red zone on all channels. Both the handheld SWR meter and the built in meter in the cb itself.

The cb is wired into a constant hot in the fuse panel. As far as a ground, I have no dedicated ground wire. I assumed the roof acted as a ground. But we all know what happens when you assume.

Make shure the stinger (center conductor) isn't grounded to the roof. When I frist installed my antenna I didn't have the hole big enough, and hot part of the bracket was touching the body gounding out the antenna.

scoobyxj said:
Make shure the stinger (center conductor) isn't grounded to the roof. When I frist installed my antenna I didn't have the hole big enough, and hot part of the bracket was touching the body gounding out the antenna.
Speaking of touching the roof, is the part that is supposed to ground to the roof actually doing that? The paint acts as an insulator and you may need to scrap some of it away in order to acheive a good ground.

I asked because he wrote:
desertrandy said:
As far as a ground, I have no dedicated ground wire. I assumed the roof acted as a ground.
I didn't know if he'd maybe heard the term ground plane and assumed it constituted an electrical ground.

well, in a way it does, as long as the vehicles chassis is grounded, which I believe most modern vehicles are, I know some old cars had the chassis connected to the hot, but I dont think they do that anymore.

There is a big difference between 12v ground and antenna ground. You need to have the +12v red hooked to +12v power and the -12v black/ground hooked to the XJ body. Remove any paint from the body where your are hooking up the power. Do the same for the ground for the antenna. Go to www.firestik.com and see the Tech and FAQ sections. That will help you understand a proper antenna install, how to use an SWR meter, and will help trouble shoot your problem.

From the Firestik page -
(Q) How important is it to have the antenna mount grounded to the vehicle?

(A) Unless you are using a no-ground plane system, it is extremely important. Ungrounded mounts will usually cause SWR to be high across all channels.

Back