• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj stalls in water

Dewey

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 XJ stalls out when I drive fast through a puddle. It only has to be about 6" deep. But I can drive through a river crossing up to the rock sliders with no problem.
I checked the distributor......dry
I checked the air filter.........dry
If I let it sit for 5 min. it will start up and run fine.
Any ideas???

Other than the distributor, the coil and spark plug cables are the second most common reason for it to die. Either a crack in a cable or a loose boot, likely the coil to cap wire if it dies completely. A leaky spark plug cable will usually just make it run crappy and miss a lot.
Sometimes really high resistance in a high voltage wire (coil or plug cable) will cause the spark to take odd paths to ground on occasion, especially when wet.

8Mud said:
Other than the distributor, the coil and spark plug cables are the second most common reason for it to die. Either a crack in a cable or a loose boot, likely the coil to cap wire if it dies completely. A leaky spark plug cable will usually just make it run crappy and miss a lot.
Sometimes really high resistance in a high voltage wire (coil or plug cable) will cause the spark to take odd paths to ground on occasion, especially when wet.

Thanks for the info. :worship:

Back