• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44

Dewey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.... so I picked up a couple of Dana 44's from some '87 XJ's.
Without opening them up, how do I tell what ratio and or lockers are in them?
The tags read:

3 07 43-14

3 07 43-14

:dunno:

Dewey said:
Ok.... so I picked up a couple of Dana 44's from some '87 XJ's.
Without opening them up, how do I tell what ratio and or lockers are in them?
The tags read:

3 07 43-14

3 07 43-14

:dunno:

3.07's, 43-14 should be the tooth count, pinion vs. ring gear.

yea they won't handle 35's.

you need 4.56 and probably 4.88 gears to deal with that.

43 devided by 14 = 3.07 gears.....it just simple math kids....
Highly unlikely they will have lockers in them unless someone installed them.LSD or "trac loc" maybe

3.07 and 35's will be aweful. it would be like starting from a dead stop, up hill, and pulling a boat while in 3rd gear.

I'm stuck with 3.07's at the moment and with 34" tires its a little sluggish and fuel economy is shitty but it is driveable....just gotta rev the gears out is all.The gears are really long......

Before I get flamed for that statement......I'm not saying its a good setup.Just driveable.

...wow...and I was really thinking long and hard about 32's on 3.55's.
That combo has got to suck hard.
I seem to have come across quite a few people running 33's on 3.55's- albeit not close to optimum performace. Anyone blow up their trans by running bigger tires on stock gears?

at least the one has a locker in it.
a manual 4.0 would be better suited with the 3.07's since autos came stock with 3.55 for the most part.
youd be better off with 4:10 or 4:56 if going bigger witht the tires.
I saw a tandem axle superduty in Mexico.
I was like SWEET it had a LONG flatbed behind it.
of course not available here for some stupid reason..

Last edited:
no, you shoudl think twice about the combo as is.

you're still gonna have to swap the front gears to match (unless they do already) and you're gonna get 8mpg MAYBE and be slower driving than a snail poops.

Why?
am I missing something here or are you directing that last sentence at the O.P?The ratios match,only an idiot would drive around with mismatched gears.
I already admitted the gas mileage sucks.Acceleration isn't stock but moves along nicely once you kick it in the ass....Didn't say it was an ideal combo.

Last edited:
outlander said:
Why?
am I missing something here or are you directing that last sentence at the O.P?The ratios match,only an idiot would drive around with mismatched gears.
I already admitted the gas mileage sucks.Acceleration isn't stock but moves along nicely once you kick it in the ass....Didn't say it was an ideal combo.

you can drive with mismatched gears as long as you dont use 4wd and/or take out the front driveshaft. some people do it for a while until they can get the front gearing done.

i have a 5sp with 31's and 4.10 gearing, i could not imagine what 34's and 3.07 would be like. your clutch must love you.

do you have any hills or steep inclines where you live?

pretty much 3.07's and 35's will get you as low of gas mileage as you can think of...there will be less torque to give the tires rotation, which means slower rotation, which also means more gas wasted to get rotation up. at that point, you're overworking your engine, and your clutch.

Think about it this way. 3.07 gears + 35" tires figures to something like 1.93 gear ratio (a bit of a guestimate, but it gives you the idea). the bigger the tire on that you put on, your TIRE-TO-GROUND ratio becomes much, much higher. this is why regears are necessary...to bring that tire-to-ground ratio back TO or lower than stock ratios

yep mileage definately sucks balls....I have a set of stock size bfg a/t's on stock canyons that I run for dd duty that I got mounted on the rims for $100!!.Thats why gearing isn't a top priority right now.I still have to drive it to the trail head after I put the meats on though.Its doable.....

why waste your time doing an axle if it's not being done right?

you can't run 35's well enough without regearing, so simple fact is you should save up to regear. and, if you've never done a regear and don't have the proper ($500 worth) tools, then you should have it professionally done or prepare to eat a few hundred dollars when the gears get screwed up (not my experience, but I REFUSE to do gears because I'm afraid of eating the cost of the gears...

*shrug*

if you're dropping it in with your current gears at 3.07, that's fine...but running 35's is just not a good idea because there would be no point...you won't be able to crawl in 4lo anyways and you'll have a mall crawler with bad gas mileage.

just be aware that a regear is NECESSARY with that tire size and current ratio

Back