• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix engine in a Wrangler

smithz

NAXJA Forum User
This is probably a stupid question, but I searched and didn't find anything.

A buddy of mine hydrolocked his 94 Wrangler this last weekend. He has the opportunity to get a Renix 4.0 out of an 89 XJ.

Is there any reason why he wouldn't be able to use this engine easily in his 94 Wrangler?

Thanks for any help.

we swapped a 97 TJ motor into my brothers 89 comanche. so, its a power tec fueled by a renix computer. if we can go from non-renix to renix, im sure you can swap the other way.

keep all the computer and stuff in the wrangler, and just toss in the block and head from the XJ. simple.

the 94 wrangler would have a 4.0 HO, tho, so you might lose a little power with the old renix head. if you found a HO xj (91+) you might have a happier jeep

-Tim

you might have to get creative with the power steering pump brackets and such, as the intake manifold is different on the renix.
The easiest thing to do would be take the head/intake/exhaust/sensors from the hydrolocked HO motor and dorp them on the renix shortblock.
Shouldn't take much to have the HO head brought up to par, you won't lose an power that way, and you can use all the same electronics.
The HO manifold isn't a direct bolton but it can be made to work with the renix head.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the block itself should really be the same for both engines? Same mount points and locations for everything?

It sounds like it would basically be use everything from the HO engine on the Renix block? Will the HO head bolt up the same?

smithz said:
So if I'm understanding correctly, the block itself should really be the same for both engines? Same mount points and locations for everything?

It sounds like it would basically be use everything from the HO engine on the Renix block? Will the HO head bolt up the same?
yep, castings for the block didn't change.
So just take the bottom end from the renix block.
I'd freshen up the head while it was apart. Maybe have it dipped, and a valve job done. Have it checked for flatness and decked if needed

Back