• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last Chance Canyon/Goler Gulch Sat 2/2/08?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy, Skip and I want to run up there this weekend. We've been through Last Chance several times but, never through Goler Gulch. I've been reading about it and it sounds really cool however, I can't find any accurate directions. Anybody have any info on how to get there or a link to some or.......want to lead a run through there? Either way, we'll be going up to wheel and just poke around.....my buddy's really into gold panning lately so, he's looking to strike it rich! :laugh: If anybody's interested in getting lost with us, post up and we'll work out a meeting time and place :) ---------Hans

Wondering where it is too, I might be up for it.

yea, general idea of location would be cool

sintax said:
yea, general idea of location would be cool
Sorry, it's about a half hour (or, so) above Mojave off of Randsburg (splits off of the 14) Rd. I think my buddy got a hold of a topo map of the area but, if we can't find Goler we, can still do Last Chance. I'll post up an update and meeting time/place soon----------Hans

I ran Goler Gulch one time about a year ago. I had just moved to Ridgecrest from Simi valley and the El Paso's were the first place I headed since they are only half an hour away. I have a busy schedule on Saturday but i am going to see if I can get away for a while and meet up with you guys and see if I can find the way in again. Worse case is we miss the turn off and end up doing a little extra off roading, but I'm pretty sure I can find it again.
Randy

desertrandy said:
I ran Goler Gulch one time about a year ago. I had just moved to Ridgecrest from Simi valley and the El Paso's were the first place I headed since they are only half an hour away. I have a busy schedule on Saturday but i am going to see if I can get away for a while and meet up with you guys and see if I can find the way in again. Worse case is we miss the turn off and end up doing a little extra off roading, but I'm pretty sure I can find it again.
Randy
That'd be great! Hope you can make it-------Hans

Hans-

I need to a wheeling day trip in, haven't been since the infamous slide down gold mountain.

I gotta work on the VW Bus this weekend to get it ready for shipping to Pittsburgh. I will keep an eye out for the next one.

Somewhere around here I have one of those "Places to Wheel in So Cal" books. I will see if I can find it, pretty sure there are some details on Last Chance and Goler in there.

Take pics and poste em!

Hans-

Send me an e-mail address I can e-mail the Last Chance Canyon info scanned from my book. Looks like a good exploring trail. The google satellite image shows some rich colors and the book has some interesting information. Bring a flashlight, there is a 2000' hikeable tunnel up there.

The only thing I found in the book on Goler is the Goler Wash in DV. We talked about that trail in BB. Maybe that is different than Goler Gultch because Goler Wash looks to be 60-70 miles away from Last Chance Canyon...unless I am missing something I wouldn't think you would do them both in the same day.

Last Chance looks like a lot of fun, but at 2.5 hrs from my house it would be a difficult day trip even if I was free on Saturday.

Again, take pics and post them so we can all see.

Let me know if you want the info from the book.

88trailcrawler said:
Bring a flashlight, there is a 2000' hikeable tunnel up there.

That might be Cooper Basin mine, long tunnel through the mountain, pretty neat.
standard.jpg

Only been in that area once but the notch on Last Chance is fun and the red rocks once you're up in there a ways are beutiful.
On my map is looks like Goler Gulch is half way between Garlock and the turnoff to 395, never been up it though.

Oatmeal said:
Sorry, it's about a half hour (or, so) above Mojave off of Randsburg (splits off of the 14) Rd. I think my buddy got a hold of a topo map of the area but, if we can't find Goler we, can still do Last Chance. I'll post up an update and meeting time/place soon----------Hans

Thats it.Its clearly marked on a USGS topo.I've been all over Gohler gulch gold prospecting.There is a dirt road that winds up it, not really a challenge even for a stock 2wd pickup.However there are all kinds of sub gulches that branch off that could be a real challenge.The whole El Paso range is loaded with gold AND trails waiting to be broke.Cold as heck at night out there, and this time of year if out there during a week day you'll be lucky to see another soul.

According to the book the Burro Schmidt Tunnel was started in 1906 by William Henry Schmidt. He planned to charge a toll to shortcut passage through the area. Long before he finished a good road was built around Cooper Mt. rendering his tunnel obsolete. He continued digging, mostly by hand for a total of 38 years. He operated the tunnel as a tourist attraction until his death in 1954.

I really would love to check this out sometime when I have more time. Maybe we could plan something later in the year. I just dont have the time to cover that distance. Plus my heeps kinda untested and i'd hate to get stranded.

Also make sure someone takes good GPS coords and waypoints for my future use =)

Yeah, I think this is best served as more than just a day trip.

Iron and Benson canyon's, a stones throw from Gohler, might be worth exploring as well.

Jes said:
Burro Schmidt Tunnel, that's it. Pretty cool area to check out.
I've been through the Burro Schmidt tunnel before.....it IS pretty cool (to think he dug it all by hand, too!).....my friend's kid banged his head going through there (he's TALL). Well, we plan to meet at Mc Donalds in Mojave at 8am and roll out no later than 8:30. Anybody coming from the Inland Empire or OC would be better off coming up the 15 to the 395 and meet up with us at the Redrock Randsburg Rd/Garlock Rd junction. Post up if you have an intrest in going so we can establish a meeting time there, as well (I'll check back in a little while). My cell # is (626) 221-0430 (don't know if I'll get reception up there, though) we'll be on CB channel 16, as well.......Hope you guys can make it!---------Hans

Back