• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright so my gas millage is horrible.

:confused1 stop driving & your gas milage will go up :laugh:

get over it, you drive a JEEP!!! it sucks, end of story.

last time i checked our gas milage i think we where getting something like 20 or 22 on the highway, but that was in the late summer/fall.

O2 sensors have a LOT to do with gas mileage. And bosch's are fairly cheap... How many miles on the clock? And how often do you tune up? On stock rubber, an XJ shouldn't have much trouble gettin 21-22 on the highway and average 17. But the BIGGEST factor is how heavy your right foot is :)

I'm actually pretty happy with the mileage my '95 4.0 gets. I'd say 15 city and 22 highway, which is just the same as my '91 BMW 325i. Considering the Jeep has more displacement, and it's basically a box on wheels, I'm suprised it's that good.

One thing I think sucks though, that some people aren't aware of on pre '97 rigs, is that when defrost is selected, it automatically kicks on the AC compressor which makes it drink more gas. I plan to do some rewiring of the climate controls and add a manual switch for the AC, also a different switch for the fan with an OFF position.

Dustin, i found that my 89 kicks on the ac when i turn on the defroster,. so i fixed that by not using the defroster, i just re-adjust the way the vent is positioned with the heat on full blast.

cracked-butt said:
:confused1 stop driving & your gas milage will go up :laugh:

get over it, you drive a JEEP!!! it sucks, end of story.

X2, if you're worried about milage, don't drive a jeep! :doh:

PurpleCherokee said:
On stock rubber, an XJ shouldn't have much trouble gettin 21-22 on the highway and average 17.

I average 17. i have 3 inch lift, 31 inch mud terrains, and stock 3.55 gears. i did the math to figure out that my speedo is off by 10% (you have to have someone follow you to compare the 2 speedos) so i figure that in and get an average of 17 mpg. i recently changed out the steel wheels to aluminum and corrected my tire pressure and that helped out, before that i was averaging 15.

I drive like an old man when im on the main roads in town and all.......like they say about winter driving...." drive like theres and egg under the pedal".......it does help, i guess......i get about 19-23mpg......im not bitching one bit.....beats the hell outta walking outta the woods.....thats why i drive a Jeep.....all the little things that " suck" about them, i just deal with it.....at least mines paid for, so no huge ass car payment......and the gas i save while driving like an old coot in town, i make up for when im in the deep shit out in the boons.........

Hallo. What i am reading, it isnt so bad in the USA with the gasprices.
My Jeep is running 19 mpg (31" muds) But the price of gas is in Holland much
higher! 1,40 Euro/ltr (98oct) = 7.80 dollars/gallon.
Thats why less people drive a Jeep in Holland.
What are the gasprices today? in the USA?:party: :party:

thats what 97 or 95 octane? i just got back from south africa, kinda far from holland BUT the octane was higher than our prem. of 93 here in the states...

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo. What i am reading, it isnt so bad in the USA with the gasprices.
My Jeep is running 19 mpg (31" muds) But the price of gas is in Holland much
higher! 1,40 Euro/ltr (98oct) = 7.80 dollars/gallon.
Thats why less people drive a Jeep in Holland.
What are the gasprices today? in the USA?:party: :party:

doh, now i see it...

It really doesn't matter what gas prices are in Europe. In Europe all of the oil is imported.

In America, we drill and refine some of our own. We should do more instead of importing as much as we do from <i look, i made a racist remark and someone edited my post>. Oops, I mean Middle Eastern nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
victor_s said:
I'd just like to know what people out there are doing to improve they're gas millage?

What kind of mileage are you getting? What tires/gears/lift?

Back