• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running a Kill switch idea by ya'll

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Just want to see what anyone thinks about this, I know some people mentioned in past threads about using a Reed switch or some other forms of switches to prevent theft (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9551&highlight=pushbutton+start). I like that idea but I was also trying to think of an additional measure to take. I know you can get those remote car alarm door lock systems from walmart and other places for different amounts, has anyone set up one of those so that the entire system was hidden somewhere and instead of activating the locks, it would flip a switch or regulator which would provide power to the starter/fuel pump or anywhere else? I mean, in all it wouldnt be a hard install, it would just be finding a electronic switch that could be operated in this method. Im sure they are out there, but I just cant come up with a name for one or think of how exactly to get it to work perfectly, but then again I havent even drawn out a plan, it just kinda popped into my head and I figured I woudl throw it out there for criticism.

-Scott

All interesting ideas (and I'd seen the ADE setup before,) but they seem to miss one critical point - wherever you put the kill/enable switch, you'll want to make the motion to hit it seem as natural, to an observer, as possible. Nothing really "out of the way" should happen when you hit the switch, and no motion should really give away the location of the switch.

Think about what you do - and what you are SEEN doing - when you get in your rig and start it up, and "borrow" one of those motions to "wipe" the switch on and off. All the better would be to camouflage the switch so that there is no outward appearance - that's where the reed switch comes in handy (since it is concealed behind a panel,) or use an OEM switch that does nothing as "camouflage" so that nothing appears out of place.

Having done that, here's the kicker - tell NO ONE about what you've done! I've got something similar done in my 88, and I've caught a couple kids (at different times) trying for a joyride when I was going into a store for a couple minutes, and left my keys hanging in the ignition lock. What I did when I came out of the store and found the kid in my driver's seat doesn't bear retelling, but I don't think they'll try to swipe any more vehicles... It also makes for some fun when I go up to a job in SF - when I come back and the lot attendant tells me he couldn't move my truck, I just say that I didn't give him permission to, and my truck knows that. They are already confused just trying to find a key that works (I've got keys to five rigs on my keyring,) and I don't have any trouble, because I've got a spare door key to my "primary rig" (my 88, it's my working truck) hanging on a chain around my neck anyhow.

An essential element of "security" is "anonymity" - nothing must seem out of place, and no-one needs to know anything. Problem solved.

5-90

Having done that, here's the kicker - tell NO ONE about what you've done! I've got something similar done in my 88...

An essential element of "security" is "anonymity" - nothing must seem out of place, and no-one needs to know anything. Problem solved.

5-90

Tell absolutly no one exept for the thousands of people who browse this forum and can find out where you live, what school you go to and what type of vehicle you drive! :D

Piffle. Yes, there are a couple starter interrupts and killswitches on my rig - and they could probably be bypassed and disabled.

HOWEVER, the trick will still be in figuring out exactly WHAT I interrupted, WHERE I interrupted it, and HOW I interrupted it. Also, you'll have to sort out some of the wiring (I changed it around,) and sort out the "genuine" switches from the "dummy" switches.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I used to have a habit of ending up in bad places, and I liked knowing that my vehicle would still be there - especially if/when I needed to make a quick getaway!

5-90

Yeah, The whole thing of setting it up so it looks natural.. thats where I got the idea for the remote entry system. I mean, if I set up a reed switch to the fuel pump ground in the rear panal behind the tire carrier and wired taht forward to somewhere up front, and wired the remote access unit in under the hood where it wouldnt be able to be seen unless you were really looking for it, somewhere say, below the fuse box, in line with the starter wire, so if you check the starter wire, you would see nothing, you would actually have to tear out the fuse panel and chek the wires comnng out. And most people taht see someone beep their car think they simply have an alarm or something, which is also why I was thinking that type of system, ebcuase then there might be a way to wire a failsafe in that if the unit was pulled out the alarm or something would go out. Who knows, just a couple ideas that were floating around in my head at work :D

Another easy curciut to put a kill switch to is the CPS power lead. No power to the CPS will completely disable the ignition.

Keep in mind these are only temporary deterrants. Nothing is 100% secure. If somebody really wants your rig, they are going to get it. All we can do is try to minimize the vulnerability.

Back