• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I hate insurance companies...

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
New vehicle. Not at fault in the accident. Still under factory warranty.

My insurance company wants to put on aftermarket body parts, potentially voiding my bumper to bumper and/or sheet metal warranty and won't budge.

At this rate, I'll end up paying for the repairs with factory parts myself and suing the insurance company.

Good times.

doesnt sound like you nor them did the homework here. EDIT.. IF you pick the right repair facility then you can request OEM parts.

And let me add. If you were not at fault (0%) then you can require that the at fault party pay what ever difference isnt covered to get your vehicle back to the exact condition that it was before the collision at 100% thier fault.

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
doesnt sound like you nor them did the homework here. EDIT.. IF you pick the right repair facility then you can request OEM parts.

And let me add. If you were not at fault (0%) then you can require that the at fault party pay what ever difference isnt covered to get your vehicle back to the exact condition that it was before the collision at 100% thier fault.

My Chevy truck is at my Chevy dealer... how much more site specific do I need to get?

The other party was uninsured. The insurance company needs to go after him. Additionally, he is a deadbead dad, has no license or assets that we can find currently... good times.

Just be glad you don't have geicko. They've gone as far as denying claims because after an accident the insurance adjuster finds aftermarket wheels or a cold air intake on a car. "performance modifications" void their liability. Its a big deal on the civic forums right now as several people have come accross this in short order.

My insurance company gave me until 6/08 to change carriers as they will no longer offer liability on my lifted jeep. They did offer to let me keep my multi-car discount if I leave my ford with them though, on a stand alone policy.

Check the terms of your warranty - the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act set it up so that "aftermarket parts comparable or equivalent to OEM will not void warranty."

This was done because there are vehicle enthusiasts (like us!) who like to work on their own gear, even for tune-ups and oil changes. Before MMWA, you could get your warranty voided for having an aftermarket oil filter on your engine - even if the aftermarket filter was better than OEM!

Modifications can be dicey, but returning the vehicle to OEM trim, using either OEM or aftermarket parts, should not be a problem. The insurance company is trying to reduce their payout (since they know they won't get anything back, they'll have to put it down as a "loss",) but MMWA should help you preserve your warranty. Look into it...

5-90 said:
Check the terms of your warranty - the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act set it up so that "aftermarket parts comparable or equivalent to OEM will not void warranty."

This was done because there are vehicle enthusiasts (like us!) who like to work on their own gear, even for tune-ups and oil changes. Before MMWA, you could get your warranty voided for having an aftermarket oil filter on your engine - even if the aftermarket filter was better than OEM!

Modifications can be dicey, but returning the vehicle to OEM trim, using either OEM or aftermarket parts, should not be a problem. The insurance company is trying to reduce their payout (since they know they won't get anything back, they'll have to put it down as a "loss",) but MMWA should help you preserve your warranty. Look into it...

That was a conversation with GM Corp earlier today. The car mfgs have found a work around by putting warranties on things like body panels specifically protecting against rust, therefore, requiring a GM body panel put back on the truck or voiding the warranty on that piece. Basically, anything put on the truck that isn't factory won't be warrantied, however, the rest of the warranty will finish out term. If I were to purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle, nothing replaced with aftermarket, non-GM, will be covered.

From a friend who lobbies for the insurance industry, there was a bill introduced by a Rep. from SF that addresses this issue in CA, however, it is in the early stages.

gcurtis said:
That was a conversation with GM Corp earlier today. The car mfgs have found a work around by putting warranties on things like body panels specifically protecting against rust, therefore, requiring a GM body panel put back on the truck or voiding the warranty on that piece. Basically, anything put on the truck that isn't factory won't be warrantied, however, the rest of the warranty will finish out term. If I were to purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle, nothing replaced with aftermarket, non-GM, will be covered.

From a friend who lobbies for the insurance industry, there was a bill introduced by a Rep. from SF that addresses this issue in CA, however, it is in the early stages.

Bugger. Anyhow, I wasn't sure if you knew about MMWA, so I thought I'd bring it up. Interesting how they found a workaround for it...

I'm almost willing to bet that you're dealing with body parts that are "galvanised on both sides" or "galvanised after machining/stamping/drilling," and that aftermarket parts are not. That would take care of the "comparable or equivalent to" problem - unless the aftermarket were to start doing the same thing, or just going with CRES body panels...

The guy was driving a truck (thought I read about your accident for a sec in some other thread?) that was a company truck? There are alot of assets out there that might be avail. Just keep your searchin.. Heck I mean even the wrecked truck, is avail to you if thats all he has. If its someone elses truck then they are liable as a primary insured and his (if he had insurance) would be secondary..

Good luck

cal said:
Just be glad you don't have geicko. They've gone as far as denying claims because after an accident the insurance adjuster finds aftermarket wheels or a cold air intake on a car. "performance modifications" void their liability. Its a big deal on the civic forums right now as several people have come accross this in short order.

My insurance company gave me until 6/08 to change carriers as they will no longer offer liability on my lifted jeep. They did offer to let me keep my multi-car discount if I leave my ford with them though, on a stand alone policy.

There is probably more to it than what you read Cal. I bet it is "bald" tires on aftermarket wheels. I have GEICO and my friend totaled my BMW, got charged with DUI and they still paid it off no questions asked!!!

Where is your truck ? Your ins company CANNOT tell you were to take your vehicle. They can only recommend places that they have worked with before. They HATE the dealers because their prices are inflated but your warranty is covered by the dealer regardless what parts they put on. They will only use parts that they will warranty.

If they bock about the price or complain that you dont need this or you dont need that simply tell them "That is why I pay my inflated premium".

How do I know this you ask, well when my son got into a accident in our 06 HD he pretty much left the entire front if the truck on the 15 fwy. We took it to the dealer and the ins co wanted us to take it to another body shop. They "claimed" that the other shop was better then the dealer. We found out later that the adjuster was only going to warrent aftermarket parts and the dealer started they dont use them. They only use dealer certified parts. The adjuster sed then we need to take it to a ins company certified repair facility and I sed "give that to me in writing and that the dealer will still warranty my vehicle after non dealer parts are installed and I will take it where ever you want". Truck was fixed at the dealer ! The repair shop made damn well sure that every screw, nut and bolt that looked damaged was replaced too.

Good luck

silverslk said:
There is probably more to it than what you read Cal. I bet it is "bald" tires on aftermarket wheels. I have GEICO and my friend totaled my BMW, got charged with DUI and they still paid it off no questions asked!!!

Theres really not more to it than that. I can't find the wheels one at the moment (I read up on it for several hours when I bought my civic, before choosing an insurance company) and this is a fairly common thing.

Here's a thread about the guy who got dropped for having a cold air intake, after being the victim of hit and run.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...will-no-longer-insure-our-hondas-read-up.html

If you still have problems with the insurance company you can always contact the Department of Insurance. They keep the insurance companies in check.

talk to the dealer, and tell them you want the truck TOTALED! No question about it.. Also tell your insurance that you DO NOT want the vehicle back after repair. You DO NOT feel safe in it any more with sub-standard parts installed.. Honestly it all comes down to how much of an A#@ the adjuster is that day..

You agreed to this in your policy.

However, if your vehicle is a 2008, they cannot put a/m parts on it, when I was at Farmers they got sued over this and it was determined that if your vehicle is brand new (2008 MY in year 2008) they cannot put a/m parts on it.

A/M parts alone will not void your warranty. Read the Manguson-Moss act, they are not allowed to void warranties over the install of aftermarket parts alone. This is the same justification used for when you put a lift, etc on your Jeep.

If you don't like this, now you know about it, and you should call your agent and get an a/m parts endorsement.

IntrepidXJ said:
get a lawyer if they won't budge.....you need a lawyer to look after your best interest.....the insurance company is only looking out for it's best interest

and Lawyers are only looking for their best interst.. and they tend to not want to get involved in anything without injuries; thats where the money is.

This sucks Grant. I am glad you were not hurt.

I would get the truck fixed, then let GM know you will be getting rid of it and getting a Ford. Also let your ins company know you will be dropping them and going to their biggest competitor. Then follow-up with it. Of course, make sure the regional managers/VP's of each company know this intention as well.

Best of luck!

Back