• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem after ARB Locker installation ?

Kad

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys, i've just installed an arb locker on my 92 xj, dana 35 non c-clip dif.

The thing now is that when i start the locker i can hear\feel the air coming out from the dif "breather". The dif is still completly empty, i mean, without any oil in... do you guys think this might be the reason why theres air comming out from the breather... is the oil by it self going to be enough to "block" the air... or should i start to get worried ?

The strange is that it locks as if it was no air leak somewhere inside, thats why i'm wondering if the lack of oil isnt the reason for that !?

Thanks for all your help.

No,theres an air leak in the locker somewhere.Could be in the bulkhead fitting,the air collar, or the locker itself!

Last edited:
Try rotating an axle shaft with the locker turned on. The gears may not be lining up, so it's not fully engaging. This will cause a leak. Normally it wouldn't happen because you would driving when or right after locking it, so everything lines up.

If it really has a problem, it could be the seal inside the body of the locker, or as the other guy said, the collar, bulk head fittings, or an oring. If you rolled the orings on, check there first.

My bet is you just need to rotate a shaft, if it is a new locker.

-Jim C

thanks for your replies guys...

i really hope its not a problem either with the air collar or with the "locker body" it self... because its a new locker, took me a while to fit it, and now i am really really ansious to give it a try, not to dismantle it again...

since i was a little "scared" with all that air, i've only gave something like a full turn on the shaft... maybe with a few more it will settle... ?

RCP Phx said:
No,theres an air leak in the locker somewhere.Could be in the bulkhead fitting,the air collar, or the locker itself!

x2

does the air collar or the locker it self usually give problems ?

or in most cases is just the bulkhead fittings ? because to be honest... i didnt overtight the bulkhead fittings... probably they need a little more.

after i had my front installed an O ring was leaking and i had to get a new one, when i went to engage the locker air would piss out of the vent tube. When i got the new o ring from ARB it was a different designed rubber piece as to better seal (i am guessing the o ring failure may have been common enough to make a different piece), anyway, once the o ring was replaced - good to go. I believe it is the o ring that couples the locker and air line.

I kind of went through the same deal with my ARB. It was leaking very bad so I replaced all the seals and put it back in the axle without adding gear oil. It still leaked to the point where the compresor would cycle every ten seconds. I added gear oil and sealed the diff cover back up, now it does not leak any air at all. Not sure if the dana 35 ARB is like my Dana 30 ARB but mine uses a U ring seal and ARB said the Gear oil help created the seal.

I had the same thing happen to me. Mine just did it to me on the trail. Pull the front cover and check the copper line going into the fitting on the housing. Mine had slipped down a little. I worked on mine with the cover off untill I got everything working properly. I bent the copperline in a bind so it could not back out again. My locker works perfectly with the cover off and no lube and no axle rotation. It has been down the road before and is probably lubed internally. watch the little O ring and make sure everything mates properly. I bet that is all it is.

hello again guys, unfortunly i had to dismantle the whole thing to look for the leak... and i have to be honest.... i am a little disapointed with the arb welding capacity... the leak was in the welding where the copper pipe joins the air collar... i've just welded it again, going to give it a try tonight then i'll post the results...

hello again... ok, i've just re-fitted the locker again, this time i've it run for +20 minutes... no leaks :)

hope it stays like this for a long time!

Back