• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOVING A GAS TANK ON A 98

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Anyone moved a gastank on a newer model XJ? from what I have seen everyone is moving the steel tanks up and just setting the lip of the tank between the frame rails. Anyone done this with one of the plastic tanks?

I looked at moving mine but it's a 20 gallon tank... and since it's not driven on the road much anymore I'm just going to pick up a 15gal. fuel cell and mount in inside the cab...

If you do decide to move it.. please do a write up...

There is no lip to the tank, for now mine is just sitting in the back. I think I may just strap it in, or build some sort of box for it. Most likely just straps though. I do have the back half cut off, wouldnt be comfortable having it in a closed cab.

Ramsey said:
There is no lip to the tank, for now mine is just sitting in the back. I think I may just strap it in, or build some sort of box for it. Most likely just straps though. I do have the back half cut off, wouldnt be comfortable having it in a closed cab.

This is the route I am probably going to go as well, I have plenty of ventilation.....Post up a pic Ramsey.

gen right off road sells an adapter bracket to keep your stock fuel pump incase you get a fuel cell - i have debated about moving mine up but i like the flat bed for sleeping and hauling crap - mine too on my 99 is plastic so this is why i have not done this yet and i just got a gas tank skid lol...

Ditch the tank all together. Get an old keg and use it as the gas tank. There is a guy in town that has a keg mounted in the bed of his truck. He said the tank kept leaking and he got tired of messing with it. One afternoon it came to him in a vision, and he made it work. Just a thought.

Hale

Well I am trying to keep costs down for right now until after WF so I will probably end up moving the stocker to the "bed" for the short time.

no experience but shot em an email a while go and they said thats what it is for - u might want to double check with em just to make sure - if i run a cell i am going to do this so i can keep all my stock wiring and pump and not have to worry about ford pumps etc b/c i do not need any more psi that the stock one gives me anyways...

Haleyes said:
Ditch the tank all together. Get an old keg and use it as the gas tank. There is a guy in town that has a keg mounted in the bed of his truck. He said the tank kept leaking and he got tired of messing with it. One afternoon it came to him in a vision, and he made it work. Just a thought.

Hale

x2, there is a guy that frequents Redbird that uses a mini-keg for a fuel tank. He may be on propane, but I think it's gas.

I don't want to spend anymore on all the freggin upgrades I am doing before wf. Plus I already know the stock pump and wiring work.

It is now sitting in the back of the rig, and to be honest it doesn't look half bad......

Fuggit. Run propane.

:worship:

The rest of the jeep.

BRIANHO13 said:
It is now sitting in the back of the rig, and to be honest it doesn't look half bad......

Throw up a pic...

Also, whoever asked about cells... they're pretty cheap w/o sending units... BUT you'd have to order that part from Gen Right to retain your factory pump/sender

Here's what I'm estimating:

1. Gen Right Part $100.00
2. Cell w/ foam (probably) and mounting straps $140.00

Here's my question... what would you do? Run a Circle Track type cell OR Drag style (w/ sump)? Also how does everyone feel about foam? I'm not sure how annoying the "sloshing" sound would get after a day on the trail...

Last edited:
BRIANHO13 said:
I don't want to spend anymore on all the freggin upgrades I am doing before wf. Plus I already know the stock pump and wiring work.

That's all I did on mine.

As a 'temporary' arrangement, 9 months. ago. :roll:

Pat said:
compared to what?

It actually looks pretty good.

All the body damage has been "fixed."

Back