• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wrangler bumper on XJ

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
I have a rear YJ Bumper(aftermarket) that I wanted to mount on the back of my XJ and later add a tire carrier to it. I am going to drill 4 new holes in the rear crossmemeber and reinforce the opposite side of the crossmember with a plate to spread the load a bit. I was just wondering how else I should tie it in without having to do tons of work, since I don't really have much time. I was thinking of attaching two braces from the bottom of the bumper to the hitch like this.
XJRearBumper005.jpg

SwingOutGateXJ001.jpg

Would this be enough or should I also tie it in to the frame? ( which I would have to do later on down the road)

Last edited:
why do you hate your departure angle?

Bolting a support bracket to the bumper is a nice trick. I'd run it like that and leave it alone. I was planning on welding a bracket in the same location, but bolting it would be nice if I ever had to take it off.

How would I lose anything on my departure angle? The bumper would be so close to the jeep and those braces as well.... Your comment doesnt really make sense to me

4LowandGo said:
Bolting a support bracket to the bumper is a nice trick. I'd run it like that and leave it alone. I was planning on welding a bracket in the same location, but bolting it would be nice if I ever had to take it off.
I just figured welding the top end to the bumper, and bolting it to the hitch this would help reinforce it more then just the four holes I am making in the crossmember.

you can run a plate-strip down the unibody rails extending from the bolted flanges on the crossmember...and mount it similar to the hitch, if you get what im saying. Thats what a lot of them do. i dont see why the idea you have wont work either as far as bracing to the hitch. just anything to keep that bumper from twisting/sagging downward.

SiStech

tomcat said:
why do you hate your departure angle?
that isnt even his jeep pictured.

Last edited:
HeavyMetal said:
you can run a plate-strip down the unibody rails extending from the bolted flanges on the crossmember...and mount it similar to the hitch, if you get what im saying. Thats what a lot of them do. i dont see why the idea you have wont work either as far as bracing to the hitch. just anything to keep that bumper from twisting/sagging downward.

SiStech

SiS tech thanks mang

ricot83 said:
...since i dont have much time...

Sell the YJ bumper and get one thats actually for an XJ :huh:

:)

your way should work though too :looney: just sounds like a lot of work. Will it be wide enough to cover your whole ass end? I.E., will you have corner protection?

no corner protection, I will have to add it in the future. I am still not 100% that I even wnat to put this bumper on because of the work and lack of corner protection, etc etc.

HeavyMetal said:
I am just looking at how far down that hitch is, and then everything else bolted onto it. I would much rather have a cherokee bumper with intigrated hitch than that thing. and I also wouldn't drill holes through the hitch cross bar like that if you are going to actually use it to tow

Back