• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Control Malfunction ?? What?

nancea

NAXJA Forum User
I got this code yesterday on my 98 xj with 3" lift 31's. auto transmission, 4.0 motor. I serviced it 20k miles ago. fluid still looks good and is the correct level. Yes, it's dexron fluid. Honestly it feels like it shifts normal. Have any of you ever gotten this code before? What was the culpret for you guys?

I got this code yesterday on my 98 xj with aw4, 4.0 motor, 3" lift, 31's. I serviced tranny 20 k miles ago. Fluid still looks good, proper level. 130 k miles on it. Yes, it's dexron fluid. It seems to be working properly but, why the code. Anyone ever goten this code? What was the problem with yours? I can take it to my tranny guy this weekend but, hate to go into it without a clue as to what may be wrong.

Dude, why the hell did you post this is BOTH OEM and MODIFIED...

And what code, be specific... Newb

Last edited:
Could be TPS or TCU issues. Try first just clearing the codes and see if it comes back or not.

Also, you're gonna get flak for it, but you really shouldn't post in two sections asking the same question. Just a heads up.

nominated

Autozone ran the code. There book said Transmission Control Malfunction.

I'm gonna clear it and see if it comes back. Could have been a fluke Hopefully.

I'm getting alot of hating from my buddy who's a die hard Chevy guy. I'm always talking up the AW4 especially when i go to his shop and see all the Chevy's sitting around with the trannies burnt up.

I hope it's just a sensor or solenoid.

For tranny codes, you should normally have at least two codes. A P0700 means that the trans computer has an error code stored, and another code from the trans computer for the actual problem. You need to go back to Autozone and as them to give you the actual error number(s).

In the absence of any real info, I'll hazard a guess and say the second code is a P0705 which is a dirty NSS switch. Especially if it's shifting fine. Backup lights working?

Yeah yeah yeah bitch bitch bitch two different posts who cares:moon:

I was out of town and my wife's been driving my jeep. so she took it to autozone and didn't right down the codes just took there word for it saying Transmission Control Malfunction. I had her clear it and it hasn't come back since. Now that you mention it I bet it's the NSS because it's been screwing up lately with not wanting to crank unless i wiggle the shifter in park plus the back up lights work intermittenly. I need to take it off and clean it when i get back in town.

Thanks for the help even though some of you are on the rag.

Im going to bump this thread instead of making a new one...Same thing happened to me today.

Yesteryday I was stupid and put it in reverse before starting and tried to start and obviously it wouldnt but than middle of today I was driving and check engine came on. Went to Autozone to read and got P0700 and P0705. The guy said he couldnt clear it since it was against the law but said wait and it will probally clear itself. I read and saw it might be the NSS(Im not sure what that is) but if it isnt major do you think its the same thing that happened to me?

lawsoncl said:
The P0705 means the NSS is either misadjusted or needs cleaned. Somehow I doubt it's illegal for him to clear the codes. If you clean the NSS the light will eventually go away.

This writeup might be helpful. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Ok thanks for that.. Are they really that expensive? Just a matter of cleaning it will probally do the trick? I mean Im just trying to find the simple solution, not really made of money yet so I dont want to mess it up even more.

They are $150 from teamcherokee.com . The hardest part is getting it off the shaft. Spray it with some penetrating fluid for a few days first, and go easy so you don't break the switch housing. Once it's off, it's only a couple of screws to open it up. From there clean it up, use sandpaper to flat out any grooved contacts, throw some grease back on it and button it back up.

lawsoncl said:
They are $150 from teamcherokee.com . The hardest part is getting it off the shaft. Spray it with some penetrating fluid for a few days first, and go easy so you don't break the switch housing. Once it's off, it's only a couple of screws to open it up. From there clean it up, use sandpaper to flat out any grooved contacts, throw some grease back on it and button it back up.

OK I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks for the help

Back