• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine won't turn over, 2000 XJ

Hawg130

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 XJ w/150K on it. The other day I tried to start it and got nothing. The battery voltage is good, all the electrical stuff comes on and works, you can hear the fuel pump come online. There is no response at all when I turn the key. Could this be a starter relay type problem? I'm fairly mechanical and I've tried to eliminate the usual things. This is something I've never experienced. Do any of you guys have any experience with this type of problem?

It is an automatic, FWIW.

Hawg130

NSS, CPS, or starter relay. have someone listen with the hood up when you turn the key. you will hear a small click from the starter relay if its working. then move on to the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) and the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). im willing to bet its either the NSS or the CPS. if you are carefull and mechanically inclined you can disassemble and clean the NSS, you can find writeups here on NAXJA. it can also be bypassed. have you noticed your reverse lights not coming on all the time? this is also a symptom of the NSS beginning to fail. im not sure on how to test the CPS as i havent had mine fail yet, but i am sure someone else will chime in on how to check that.

hope this helps
-G

My 01 recently did that... I moved the gear selector from park back to drive then back to park and she fired right up. Try that...or putting it in neutral. It should start in park or neutral.

J.

Same exact problem here as well.
Turn key nothing.
Click comes from relay
NSS has been cleaned and gunk removed
Ideas?

Unplug the CPS and plug it back it, try again. If it cranks - CPS is going out.

Just walked out to the car to help my wife in a sideswipe accident - she's OK, waiting on the HP. Anyway, the '90 cranks and won't start either. Great timing.

Back