• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocker replacemet

bigmcgiv

NAXJA Forum User
im a noobie to the jeep thing, i just bought a 94 xj 4dr 4.0ho auto. im not new to the 4wd thing i had a 72 shoe box bronco but im new to the jeep thing. anywat too my question does anyone have any detail pics of a slip on rocker or vid maybe. i could not find anything but box tube rocker replacement. thanks all bigmcgiv :scottm: ps i love the jeep and sold it for 1358.00 as new dealer trade on ebay all said and done 1525.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320207398894&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

uhm..... what? :gag: you love the jeep but just sold it? i dont get it. and what do you mean by "slip on rocker" ??

sorry, no i just bought it . i edited my post but it posted it without the corrections. anyway slip-on meaning goes around door pillar and over the stock rocker panel or you can cut out the old one and weld the new panel in.

I don't know of any slip on rockers for the XJ. I assume you mean a rocker that is sized so that it goes over the old one. You can get weld on rockers, which require pretty extensive cutting and welding of the body unless you remove a good part of what comes with them. You could cut away part of the replacement rocker and rivet it over the old one, I think. The ones I got weren't terribly expensive, about 40 bucks each as I recall. I haven't put them on yet.

bigmcgiv said:
yes , the rivet ones. sorry i thought you weld them in place. i sorry for being confusing. any pic or video of the install. thanks
The ones I got are made to be welded in in the same way the originals are, but you can cut away what you don't need, and rivet or spot weld them on in other ways.

i just used aluminum house siding to fix my rockers. hey dont laugh it passed inspection!!! oh yea i riveted them on.

measure cut drill rivet,. that simple. only took me about 30 min each side, but there was many bends & cuts to make in the aluminum. didnt cut any of the jeep .

cracked-butt said:
i just used aluminum house siding to fix my rockers. hey dont laugh it passed inspection!!! oh yea i riveted them on.

measure cut drill rivet,. that simple. only took me about 30 min each side, but there was many bends & cuts to make in the aluminum. didnt cut any of the jeep .
I'd feel safer with something a little more substantial on there-- a unitbody needs the rockers for structural integrity. Fine as a temporary fix, but I'd be looking into replacements.

well it was a quick fix, the replacement ones im lookin at are the diamond plate & they aint cheap. about $150 a side if i remember correctly.

we havent taken it off-road, realy. not enough $$ to fix anything that (probably will) might break on the trail. besides, dont know any one in my area to go wheelin with.
i've already been stuck with 2 vehicles a few years back. had to leave them there until the next day when we could get someone to help us get them unstuck.
so for now it's just our dd. (10 month old baby is a bit more important than up grades)

I wish my rockers were even close to these ones....mine are shot, really rotted out....i got it to pass inspection without doing anything to them.....i just drop it off at the garage, and i dont say anything about them being rusrted out, the shop doesnt either, lol.......id love to fix them, as the rest of the jeep is sweet, but with the salt they use in PA, it would be about 2 years, they would rust out again.....i have two old liscense plates that ill use to patch them, if it fails next year....until then......im just RustyRocker, lol......my friends get on my shit about the rust.....til i smoke them off road.....or pull them out of the mud hole at 3am, lol.......

i saw the jcwhitney ones and they say only to 93 my xj i sa 94 did the body change there at all? or just a applacation error. and does any one photos of one installed close up

Re: rocker replacement

JC Whitney has "slip-on" rockers. They go right over your old ones. You can weld, screw or rivet them on. I wouldn't just throw them over the old ones without at least attempting to halt the rust (ya.. right ...on an XJ) that is already there. They'll make it look ok again but it won't be repaired the way it really should be.

Back