• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winching backwards?

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal. I was helping a buddy get his Toy unstuck on a snowy trail and it would have been really neat to winch myself backwards up the hill since he melted his wiring and couldn't get out of my way. Other than mounting a winch to the rear, is there a safe way to winch backwards? Or are there any modifications that allow this with a front winch?
P.S. I blew up my driverside knuckle and axle hitting it hard desperatly trying to get my then stuck rig out of the snow at 3am.:explosion

winch.gif

It took me a while to wrap my head around this logic but now I see the key is in the muli block setup in the back. Otherwise yess you would just tightin the circle and pull against yourself. ureeka , the hamsters in my head were on a break

88xjlover said:
Cool demo!
So the winding/pulling on the front doesn't counter-act the pulling on the rear?
I need like 8 more snatch blocks!

It can be done with 5 successfully. :) I *think* it's possible with 3, but that's a stretch.

So they ask why do you have three snatch blocks? now I will grin and laugh when the ask me why I have 7!! good to know! I was always trying to think of some way to wrap it underneath the jeep

98stocker said:
Easier just down the front, under the axles and out the back. A little rubbing on the bottom of the axles won't hurt anything.

probably better off running it under back, snatch and back to the front hooks,then again never tried it,never seen it done

bcmaxx said:
So they ask why do you have three snatch blocks? now I will grin and laugh when the ask me why I have 7!! good to know! I was always trying to think of some way to wrap it underneath the jeep

That's why I posted this in Modified. Trying to see if anyone has a permanent solution but the multi snatch block does make sense. If the "accordian" action in the rear pulls the truck backward how do you get more space between the winch and 1st block?
Maybe this is one of those "just trust me" things but it would be great to see!

Basically what is being accomplished here is a relocation of winch line. All of the line that is behind the Jeep, is being relocated to the spool. Think of all of that line behind the Jeep as "slack".

that is pretty flippin awesome!

88xjlover said:
Cool demo!
So the winding/pulling on the front doesn't counter-act the pulling on the rear?
I need like 8 more snatch blocks!
No,one is enough to tear the bumper off!!

98stocker said:
Easier just down the front, under the axles and out the back. A little rubbing on the bottom of the axles won't hurt anything.
Had to do that before with my step-dad's CJ. You definitely shouldn't try this if you don't have a roller fairlead. It was kinda scary having the cable double back like that but it went just fine.

I'm planning to do a receiver-mounted winch and a front receiver if/when I get a winch. The Jeep is mostly a daily driver, and I'd rather not have an expensive winch out there exposed to the elements/random people in parking lots.

If I do that, I'd have power hookups for it front and rear.

5-90 said:
The trick I've always wanted to try I read in The Monkey Wrench Gang - a free rappel with a Jeep!

That, friends, would be amazing...

The best story I heard was a Jeep with winches front and rear winching across a small canyon upside down where a bridge used to be! The guy who told me about it said he saw pic's! What I want to know is who was crazy enough to ride in the jeep upside down!:worship:

88xjlover said:
The best story I heard was a Jeep with winches front and rear winching across a small canyon upside down where a bridge used to be! The guy who told me about it said he saw pic's! What I want to know is who was crazy enough to ride in the jeep upside down!:worship:

Someone with five-point belts, I'll bet...

Back