• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed Tranny Fluid...Question.....

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So i drained the fluid out of my tranny today and let all that was gonna drain, drain out. So i took the old fluid and poured it into some old oil quarts and i lost a little over 4 quarts. So i filled it back up with DEXIII (4 quarts) and let it sit. Then i let it run for a bit and then drove it up the street and got it up to 45 and it all felt fine, shifts felt strong and smooth. I Drove it back to my house and all felt fine as before then i parked it and shut it off and popped the hood to check the level. And the fluid is almost completely Clear (as in see through) but it is wet up to about the full mark. Is this right? I was just a little weary about messing with anything that has to do with a transmission, so just want to make sure im ok here.

thanks.

Cory

Unlike checking the engine oil, I think you're supposed to check the level of the tranny with it running, warm, at idle. Do that and see what it reads.

Book says to check the transmission fluid with the vehicle in either park or neutral with the transmission at operating temperature and the engine idling.

it has to be checked with it running, so the fluid circulates, if you check it with it off, all you can check is fluid condition, not level. and also, did you change the filter as well, and made sure the seal was seated?

Last edited:
amzxjdvr66 said:
it has to be checked with it running, so the fluid circulates, if you check it with it off, all you can check is fluid condition, not level. and also, did you change the filter as well, and made sure the seal was seated?
why does it say this is your first post since you joined in 2006?

Check your fluid 5 min after the engine has reached operating temp, while running. Go through each gear, 5 seconds in each, then back to park. I thought that was standard thing?

Drive it for a couple of days then check it again with the enigne and tranny at operating temp, engine running, tranny in park or neutral like mentioned.

The Older ATF's used to be that bright red/pinkish color when they were brand new, and thats one way aside from smell that you could tell what shape it was in. A lot of them now are getting more clearish, and you have to smell it to determine the condition. I know when I did my fluid and filter change a little over a year ago, the new DEX that I put in it was more of a clear color, and i've not had any problems.

If it's shifting fine and not giving you any problems, you got nothing to worry about.

He did say in his post that he filled it up with DexIII which I believe is red. Unless he is a newer owner and the previous filled with IV??

Yea, for sure verify your tranny fluid level while it is idling, hot and the tranny has been used (shifted) for a few minutes.

I dont know what the previous owner had put in it. When i first bought it almost 3 years ago, i had my mechanic check all the fluids and everything and they all seemed fine. But when i did pour in the new fluid it was indeed very bright red. which was DEXIII

Cherokeekid88 said:
I dont know what the previous owner had put in it. When i first bought it almost 3 years ago, i had my mechanic check all the fluids and everything and they all seemed fine. But when i did pour in the new fluid it was indeed very bright red. which was DEXIII

what color came out of it when you drained it?

Cherokeekid88 said:
But ive always been able to check the fluid before with the jeep off, even if it was brown....:)
You cannot check the fluid with the engien off. THe transmission must be warm and the gear selector must be in Nuetral to get an accurate reading. It looks clear because it is clean. Put a white shop towel on the stick and it will be red where it gets wet.

Back