• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheel bearing

jimzzz11

NAXJA Forum User
hi how would you no which bearing should be changed?when i turn right it makes a loud humming,when i straighten out it gos away no noise to the left i no its not the axle thank you

jack up each side of the front. Grab tire at 12 and 6; Wiggle, shake, push, pull, kick the tire. Should be firm, no play, also try to spin them turned trying to imitate the sound.

If you are on lift and tires, and your rig is old, save yourself time and heartache and do both.

if it makes more noise on right turns it should be the left unit bearing as that is getting more pressure, while the right bearing is receiving less pressure.

Probably the driver's side bearing, as mentioned.

Jack up the front and and grap the wheels and see if there is any play ....grab it at the 12:00 and 6:00 position and try to wiggle. And then again at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. Should be no play at all.

Then lastly stick a prybar under the tire and try to lift up, and have a spotter look at your balljoints for up/down play. They wouldn't cause this noise but while the front end is lifted, the balljoints are worth checking as well :)

Back