• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30/D35 Beefing up... Is is worth it?

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Until I get around to building a set of axles (D44/D60), just wanting to know what opinions are out there about the cost efectiveness of cromo shafts in the stock axles. Should I get them or have stock sticks on hand when they give way??

tires - 33x12.50
gears - 4.56
rear lockright.

Ok, first... search. It's been covered more than a few times.:D

Second, the D30 is worth SOME upgrades, IMO. These being, alloys, u-joints, gears, low-cost truss, but not much more. Hub-kits, and 30-spline conversions are not worth it becuase you're into HP D44 money there.

As for the D35, not worth anything. Grab a 29-spline 8.25 or a XJ rear D44 until you jump to the larger stuff.

Answer it yourself after reading this

I have $2000 tied up in my d-30 front, and it is empty right now because I don't have enough money to fix it again.

And x2 on getting the 29 spline 8.25, it is a fairly stout unit. I found a super 35 kit for my wifes d-35 for 200 bucks, I wouldn't dump more than that into it.

From what I've seen..if you have the D30/D35 combo...you're better off putting any additions into the D30 before the D35. It seems like most people will stick with the D30 in the front (until they go BIG and CRAZY) longer than they will stick with the D35 in the rear. Although I have a friend who runs the Super 35 kit w/Detroit locker in his D35 on 35's and has been doing so for about 3-4 years now with no problems.

You do realize you're going to get about 3 or 4 pages worth of people's differing opinions, right? :lecture:

Search too!

BruceB83 said:
Although I have a friend who runs the Super 35 kit w/Detroit locker in his D35 on 35's and has been doing so for about 3-4 years now with no problems.

What kind of terrain does your friend drive that combo on?

The D30 is worth some upgrading, pretty much what the other cat said was spot-on. Shafts, gears, locker, HD cover, truss. You can make it pretty durable and last for awhile on up to 35"s with a light throttle.

The D35 isn't worth it's weight in mud, IMO. Yes, some people build them and use them aggressively for awhile, but some people also court heroin addict whores for awhile without catching the AIDS. The two are akin to me.

We understand your frustration, but play nice, OK? -Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
why would you regear, upgrade axles shafts and buy a lockright if your going to upgrade to d44/60?

so your going to spend $1000-2000 on the 30/35 combo than upgrade?

89xj said:
why would you regear, upgrade axles shafts and buy a lockright if your going to upgrade to d44/60?

so your going to spend $1000-2000 on the 30/35 combo than upgrade?

EXACTLY. if you plan on upgrading ever, don't bother polishiing what you got.

gears+ install =500 per axle
Locker =250 per axle
d-30 alloys =400 bucks

that's almost 2-grand and you're sitting in your original shoes. Don't do what I did. I bought and installed an 8.8, then upgraded the 30, broke it and upgraded it again, broke it again and upgraded it again, broke it again and upgraded it again, broke it again and now here I am, I've spent d-44 money on an axle that now I can't afford to get out of.

cloudswimmer said:
What kind of terrain does your friend drive that combo on?

Tellico...Windrock...Beasley Knob...Greyrock...everything there basically.

fubar XJ said:
...The D35 isn't worth it's weight in mud, IMO. Yes, some people build them and use them aggressively for awhile, but some people also court heroin addict whores for awhile without catching the AIDS. The two are akin to me.

Somebody use that as their sig line!!! :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother with the 30/35.Infact don't bother with the 44/60 either.Go straight to a 60/14 bolt :D

goodburbon said:
EXACTLY. if you plan on upgrading ever, don't bother polishiing what you got.

gears+ install =500 per axle
Locker =250 per axle
d-30 alloys =400 bucks

that's almost 2-grand and you're sitting in your original shoes. Don't do what I did. I bought and installed an 8.8, then upgraded the 30, broke it and upgraded it again, broke it again and upgraded it again, broke it again and upgraded it again, broke it again and now here I am, I've spent d-44 money on an axle that now I can't afford to get out of.

I agree, which is why I didn't, but read below.

cloudswimmer said:
Don't bother with the 30/35.Infact don't bother with the 44/60 either.Go straight to a 60/14 bolt :D

Again, I agree. I'm building a HP60 front / 35-spline 60 rear combo.

HOWEVER, it isn't for everyone. The original poster didn't say how long off that upgrade would be. If my XJ was still my DD I'd probably have rocked the 30/44 combo from longer (at least 1.50-2 years, which would now be .5-1 year left). Instead, my XJ is trail-duty but unfortunately since everything on my build is paid in cash and not charged its taking quite some time for me to build it which means no wheelin' fun. :( Plus, it ain't cheap for big parts.

Like I said above, throw some money at the D30, get some cheap rear (29-spline 8.25, XJ44, or maybe an 8.8) and rock that for a few. Just don't dump a ton of cash into them, cheap is better in that case.

I was quoted by one vendor for $1300ish to complete both axles (D30/35). That was for shafts, gears, D30 carrier, ujoints, lock right, master rebuild kit. I figured for that amount, I could buy d60 and fab them up stock with rebuild kits. I am looking around...

Thanks for the input!!!

rcmf5525 said:
I was quoted by one vendor for $1300ish to complete both axles (D30/35). That was for shafts, gears, D30 carrier, ujoints, lock right, master rebuild kit. I figured for that amount, I could buy d60 and fab them up stock with rebuild kits. I am looking around...

Thanks for the input!!!
Sorry. I've got to kill your fun here. $1300 is not going to cut it for ANY front D60 build. That will be fine for the rear, not for the front. Just ask how I know. :(
Edit: Thinking about it, you might be able to pull it off, if you didn't have to replace the kingpins, kept stock shafts, gears, seals, lockouts, etc. But if you want to re-grear or lock it... ain't gonna happen on $1300.

Really, find a 29-spline 8.25 for cheap (around here about $100) and then throw half that $1300 (so 650ish) at the 30/8.25 combo. Wheel that for awhile, then jump to the larger stuff. Or just jump to the larger stuff and save your pennies.

Last edited:
RCman said:
Sorry. I've got to kill your fun here. $1300 is not going to cut it for ANY front D60 build. That will be fine for the rear, not for the front. Just ask how I know. :(

Really, find a 29-spline 8.25 for cheap (around here about $100) and then throw half that $1300 (so 650ish) at the 30/8.25 combo. Wheel that for awhile, then jump to the larger stuff. Or just jump to the larger stuff and save your pennies.

I did not mean build the D60 combo. Just get them under my jeep. What am I looking at spending to do that. Mounting brackets, coil buckets, leaf perches, steering?, DS/Pinion yoke adaptor/conversion?, berring kit and seals, new u joints for knuckles. I have some axles I am watching on ebay that I could, possibly, get for under 1K as a set (might have to go to a 14bolt rear to keep it under a grand) and 4.10s. That is what I ment. I could be wrong, but that would cost about the same at the $1300 for the small stick upgrade.

rcmf5525 said:
I did not mean build the D60 combo. Just get them under my jeep. What am I looking at spending to do that. Mounting brackets, coil buckets, leaf perches, steering?, DS/Pinion yoke adaptor/conversion?, berring kit and seals, new u joints for knuckles. I have some axles I am watching on ebay that I could, possibly, get for under 1K as a set (might have to go to a 14bolt rear to keep it under a grand) and 4.10s. That is what I ment. I could be wrong, but that would cost about the same at the $1300 for the small stick upgrade.
What year D60 is it and what is it out of? If its from a Chevy/GM/Dodge.... it'll be passenger drop... look into that.

Not to argue here, but...
1000ish for those axles
80-100 D60 u-joints
150-350 (depending on what you fab) front mounting brackets
100-200 D60 bearings/seals (there are a lot...)
50-100ish mounting the 14bolt

On the low side your about $1400... and thats assuming you keep it full width and 8-lug. That's also assuming you need nothing for the brakes and you get your steering setup for free.

Not trying to pick on you here. Just trying to point it out before you jump on something that is over your head/budget. I did... and I'm paying for it by not being able to wheel for awhile. If you really decide on this, let me know and I'll point you in what I think is the right direction on parts. My limited budget has forced me to do a ton of researching. :)

Last edited:
RCman said:
What year D60 is it and what is it out of? If its from a Chevy/GM/Dodge.... it'll be passenger drop... look into that.

Not to argue here, but...
1000ish for those axles
80-100 D60 u-joints
150-350 (depending on what you fab) front mounting brackets
100-200 D60 bearings/seals (there are a lot...)
50-100ish mounting the 14bolt

On the low side your about $1400... and thats assuming you keep it full width and 8-lug. That's also assuming you need nothing for the brakes and you get your steering setup for free.

Not trying to pick on you here. Just trying to point it out before you jump on something that is over your head/budget. I did... and I'm paying for it by not being able to wheel for awhile. If you really decide on this, let me know and I'll point you in what I think is the right direction on parts. My limited budget has forced me to do a ton of researching. :)

You are by no means picking on me. This is exactly what I wanted. We will see how the ebay stuff goes... Thanks for the feedback!

Back