• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding Coolant from a Renix

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm about to change the thermostat in my 1988 4.0 litre, (Mopar brand stat' with the top bleed hole), this will probably sound stupid, but i cannot find the coolant temp switch to loosen to enable me to bleed the air. I'm in the UK so Renix jeep's are all but non-existant (imports didn't start here till around '94) and mine is imported LHD built to Californian reg's. There is a metal plate (heatshield??) attached to the top of the inlet manifold, I cannot see or feel any leads going underneath it to where this switch is supposed to be, and if i was to remove the shield i'd have to first remove the injectors as they sit on top of this shield.

Anyone experienced something like this or am i just plain crazy and the thing is staring me in the face???:dunno:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo, 4WD, Auto, 4.0Litre...and it's Left Hand Drive!

The easiest way I found to bleed the air is to start the vehicle with the coolant tank cap off, and tank full. Idle the engine. As it warms up, it will "burp" and gulp down the contents of the tank. Refill the tank as it runs. It may do this several times, but eventually it will warm up fully and stop burping.

Well, the sensor is located at the extreme rear of the head on top, on the driver side. There's a single wire connected to the top. However, I've read way too many posts where people have snapped these off so be very careful.

Instead I generally do what Matt above suggests. I also squeeze the upper hose like I was pumping it. Once I think I have most of the air out, I top it off, close it all up and see how it goes. I know I'm good if I can get the elec fan to kick in (much harder to do now that I have a new 2 core in it).

--
1988 Laredo, (Dad's Taxi), 2wd, AW4, 4.0, K&N, Ford Injectors

I jacked the rear of the car up and unscrew the temp sensor but this method didn't seem to help me that much. You can drill two holes in the t-stat at 12 and 6 'o clock.

Well I completed my little task, (still couldn't see where that damn sensor was supposed to be), so i just idled the jeep on a slight slope facing downwards, with the radiator cap off and watched (in amazement) as the air bubbled out of the bottle (topping up the bottle every now and again). After about 10mins i replaced the cap got into the truck, drove it around the block, shut it off, went out an hour later with the wife, stop-go traffic, shopping the usual things, never boiled and stayed at around 210 -came home 3 hours later. So after a lot of worry on getting this thing right the first time, i believe i may have succeeded:patriot: ...thanks guys for your suggestions

Back