• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling

HotwiredXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a under the hood shot of how the cooling system should look on a 94' 4.0i HO, just picked one up, but there seems to have been a Goobertastic modification done at one point. The system that is on there now is a open system. I was under the impression that all these were closed. Cannot seem to find any information in my Haynes.

91 and up where open system.

This is a ugly photo of a closed system with other issues (note pressure bottle) like CCV and vacuum problems.

badmotor.jpg

This is a photo of an open system conversion on a 90 Renix. (pressure bottle eliminated, overflow relocated)

OPENSYSTEM.jpg

Last edited:
These should help. I assume you can figure out where the upper and lower radiator hoses go :D.
HOCoolingDiagram.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Thanks guys for your help...It just looks differant then my 89.

Round two:
Last night was the first sub freezing night we have had in the past few days. I have had the XJ for 3 days...This morning when I went outside, I had about a half gallon(guess) on the ground below my ride.
I looked for where it was coming from. It was the rear part of the block, but I could not pin point the location. I think it was coming form around the intake/exhaust area.

Took it to a local garage, and had the guy but pressure on the system. NO LEAKS.
Is this normal? Does the XJ just piss when it gets cold, or is there something else to look at?

The location of the puddle could be misleading. It could be running from another location and just dripping. You could be leaking from your coolant temp sensor or a freeze plug. Leaks are not always apparent when the rig is running. Also, when you say "goobertastic" is it possible that someone turned your open system back in to a closed system?

Is there a "pressure bottle" or do you have a radiator cap? Is there an overflow bottle attached to the overflow tube on that neck? Is there a tube on the neck.

Can you take a picture of your engine compartment?

Could be leaking from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump after the engine is off?!?

Yeah, after looking at the pics, it is a standard open system. I am just used to looking at the closed system. The only difference is my washer tank now sits where the pressure tank used to sit on my 89, but when I bought this, the washer bottle was missing, so it led me to think it had been modified.

It has a pressure cap, and a line going into the overflow tank.
The leak really has me worried, anyone have a diagram of freeze plugs locations? It is a HO, not sure if there is a difference on locations. The leak is certainly over or around the exhaust manifold, as it steams up and is visible on the down pipe all the way to the 90 going to the rear.

This is a diagram of the drivers side of a Renix 4.0. The Coolant Temp Sensor and block drain plug are labeled.

Sensor_Coolant_For_ECU.jpg

Freeze plugs not labeled but pictured.

Back