• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody repair?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so i was going down a mountain from the community college, and going around a corner, i hit the brakes and went with the curve, but the jeep had other plans...

i ended up drifting on a sheet of ice into oncoming traffic and hitting a Suzuki,

it hit my front quarter, missed my door, and hit again on the rear drivers side door, hut before the wheel well, the door will need to be replaced, but I'm afraid i might have tweaked the door frame,

are there any repairs for this other than just getting a different truck?

i love my '89 and the door needed to be replaced anyway, but I am just very worried about the rubbing sounds i am hearing and where this hit.

I'll post pics in the morning when i can figure out how to get them off my camera...

Where are the rubbing sounds coming from? it could just be sheet metal rubbing up against something moving....?

show pics of the suzuki too :)

JNickel101 said:
Where are the rubbing sounds coming from? it could just be sheet metal rubbing up against something moving....?

show pics of the suzuki too :)

Not trying to be a smart ass. OK. I am not. But what else would rubbing be? LOL I am sorry if I offend but I almost pissed myself.:roflmao:

TLowery04 said:
OK, so i was going down a mountain from the community college, and going around a corner, i hit the brakes and went with the curve, but the jeep had other plans...

i ended up drifting on a sheet of ice into oncoming traffic and hitting a Suzuki,

it hit my front quarter, missed my door, and hit again on the rear drivers side door, hut before the wheel well, the door will need to be replaced, but I'm afraid i might have tweaked the door frame,

are there any repairs for this other than just getting a different truck?

i love my '89 and the door needed to be replaced anyway, but I am just very worried about the rubbing sounds i am hearing and where this hit.

I'll post pics in the morning when i can figure out how to get them off my camera...

I'd go to the community college and get an estimate at the auto shop. I#ve used them on various occasions, the work often isn't world class but often good enough.

If you plan on trying yourself, I#ve worked wonders with a high lift jack, a few pieces of 2X4, a strap and other assorted odds and ends and oh yes, some sort of immovable object like a tree.
Try to imagine how it got dented and reverse the process as closely as possible. :)

i meant sheet metal rubbing a tire

or something hitting a driveshaft

or something other than sheet metal (on the body) rubbing a tire

he didnt say if it was a constant rub - it could be a spring or control arm rubbing on something

fan rubbing on something

belt rubbing on something

ass rubbing on the seat

something rubbing the steering shaft/drag link/track bar

exhaust rubbing something

brakes rubbing

all he said was "rubbing sounds"

and yeah, you are a smartass :) hope you cleaned up the piss...

JNickel101 said:
i meant sheet metal rubbing a tire

or something hitting a driveshaft

or something other than sheet metal (on the body) rubbing a tire

he didnt say if it was a constant rub - it could be a spring or control arm rubbing on something

fan rubbing on something

belt rubbing on something

ass rubbing on the seat

something rubbing the steering shaft/drag link/track bar

exhaust rubbing something

brakes rubbing

all he said was "rubbing sounds"

and yeah, you are a smartass :) hope you cleaned up the piss...

Yes and thak you. Where are you in the Middle East? I just got back from a short stay in Camp Stryker.

I'm no body expert, but I have done lots of sheetmetal work on my old chevy truck before I sold it, -so I know just enough to be dangerous.

In my opinion, if the "B" pillar isn't tweaked, then much of the damage looks to be pretty superficial. Of course it's easy for me to say that, -you're looking at a lot of hours to repair that, -especially if you're inexperienced like me. It appears that the interior trim piece is popped off on the inside of the B-pillar, -which means it probably took some impact.

If you want it to look nice when done, -well, then you're probably better off to throw in the towel right now. The damage around the rear of the back door where it curves up (by where the flare used to be) doesn't really look too bad, -although be forewarned, -just because it doesn't look real bad, it can still be a bugger to fix because most of that area is unaccessible from the backside unless you open it up. I've found the spot-weld dent pullers to be pretty much worthless in the case like yours where there's creases. You'll almost never get creases all the way out unless they're cut out and replaced. Don't get me wrong, -you can probably get a new door to shut and probably not leak just by using a torch, some beer, a hammer, and a welder, -but it'll never be the same as it was.

The one guy's idea about using a school's body shop isn't a bad one, -but they generally work at their own pace, -that's the tradeoff.

Is it just me, -or does that rear spring look totally fubarred in that last picture?

I do this every day, To be totaly honest, it would cost to much to fix it RIGHT than what its worth , sure you can put a new fender on and a new door, but when it comes to fixing the rocker and the door james it gets a little complicated because there is more structural metal underneath the sheet metal that makes it strong, if you dont get the rocker and the quarter panel on right the door will never seal right or shut ,ect,ect.
Im not trying to discourage anyone in fixing somthing, if you think you can, then do so , thats how we all learn, but if it was mine i think i would look into finding another one and using yours for parts.
what ever you decide good luck.

well, that seems to be about what I'm hearing...
guess i have two '89's for sale now...
hit the folds in the door with a 3 lb sledge, door shuts and opens smooth now =)

so how do tube doors sound?

well i guess the diff is off the perch so after that gets fixed I'll be looking for tube doors, or something i dunn quite yet.

who down in px makes tube doors? anyone with a naxja discount? =):rof:

Back