• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T case question

Taylorxj88

NAXJA Forum User
so my brothers cherokee transfer case has an internal problem. He didnt want to tear into it so he bought a new one.
his cherokee is an 88 and the new transfer case is from an 01 wrangler
the 88 cherokee is a 4.0 I6 automatic and the wrangler was the same.
they are both np231's but the new tcase has a strange, thick, ring around the rear output shaft.
can you guys tell me what this is and if it will still work on his cherokee?
thanks.
tcase.jpg

It's a balancer. If I understand, it helps to reduce vibration, although it was loose on one of the jeep I guided in a trail, so we just remove it, no vibration and less weight. Before you remove it, mark it so you can replace the balancer in the same position if you get vibration. I believe there are 3 bolts of 12mm, Turn the bolts in BY HAND and then torque them a couple of turns each working around until the balancer comes off.

dealership item to relieve vibes. 23 spline input to tranny, 88 is a 21, don't know if I understood you though.

RyanM said:
23 spline input to tranny, 88 is a 21, don't know if I understood you though.

in english.... the input spline-count on the 2 cases is diffferent.... it will not simply bolt up.

h2opete987 said:
open the cases and replace the shaft from the 88 into the new case.
i would suggest swapping the entire planetary assembly because they set to each other with their own wear-pattern and swapping 1/2 of it may lead to pre-mature failure.

not hard to do if you have a clean work area, a GOOD set of snap-ring pliers and some basic experience/knowledge of how the t/case works.

Thank you sidriptide for your reply but the whole reason i bought this transfer case was so i wouldnt have to crack my seized case. I think i might possibly trade my younger brother who posted the thread for his project xj's case and let him rebuild the newer one with a teralow and all of those goodies :gee:
My heep is a daily driver anyways so im not trying to attempt anything to gnarly just playing in the mud and stuff. so i could get by on the stocker.
Thanks again.
Kyle

Back