• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter ?? on a 2000 sport

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if the 2000 is the same, but on my 99 the O2 bung is between the cat & the muffler. As far as the convertor, it's rated for up to a 6.2L engine so it'll be fine. The only thing I don't know is if it's a 3way or not(The OE cat is).

As far as installing a bung on your cat back, that shouldn't add much. The bung is pretty cheap, and they're not hard to install.

You don't need the cat under the car , there are already two pre cats on the exhaust manifold. If you look you will see the O2 sensors are before and after manifold cats. Meaning the rear cat doesent effect anything, but robbing power. Stupid enhaced emmisions.

I welded on some three bolt flanges to down pipe, and replaced cat with 2.5" tubing+2.5" Summit welded muffler+ stock tailpipe(modified). Sounds nice and ballsy.

Not all models have the pre-cats!

theoriginalscion said:
You don't need the cat under the car , there are already two pre cats on the exhaust manifold. If you look you will see the O2 sensors are before and after manifold cats. Meaning the rear cat doesent effect anything, but robbing power. Stupid enhaced emmisions.

I welded on some three bolt flanges to down pipe, and replaced cat with 2.5" tubing+2.5" Summit welded muffler+ stock tailpipe(modified). Sounds nice and ballsy.

regardless of whether you think the cat will rob power from your engine or not.(which is really an old 1980 wives-tale) the Federal gov't says it needs to be there. even if your state doesnt do emmisions testing, it's still illegal.

You need a cat on an OBD2 vehicle, unless you like to look at a check engine light all the time.

I am installing one on my 99 as it didnt have a cat when I bought it but want the check engine light to go out and with a flowmaster its kinda loud!

I'm sure the power gains are minor, a couple ponys and some foot pounds. But any time exhaust gass flow is subjected to a change in tubing size(going into out a cat) the angle of change can be no greater rhen 15% or exhaust gas flow will slow down,Thus effecting engine output.Now, passing a sniffer test might be a differnet story?
00,01 models had three cats, the rear ones just dead weight, as well as ground clearence. My vehicle passes inspection just fine.

To the original poster Mtb JAK, just throw on the cat with whatever mods are needed to make it fit, You wont need to Have a O2 bung installed anywere. If the new cat has a bung but no plug for it use a 18x1.5mm(I believe) bolt and copper crush washer.

It might be illegal to take it off, but I like not having the cat underneath the jeep. exspecially when lifted. were anyone with a hacksaw and a couple minutes can make 15-20 bucks for their time.

Back