• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheelbase ??

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
what would be the max usable wheel base? I had a idea on my jeep and seeing some photochops are not helping making my decision. There a Mj that forsale near me for 600 bucks but is rusty.
The photo in question is this one.
CrewCab.jpg

Starboard M said:
All depends on the tire you want to run.

80'' wb is no good with 44s.

120'' wb is no good with 30s.

I'd say it also depends on what you're doing to address the frame. In my limited fab experience I may be wrong, but I can't imagine the uniframe rails standing up to being that long without bracing or building a whole subframe.

you'd pretty much be stuck with the stock longbed comanche wheel base. that pic you have is a photoshop, not the real thing

best way would be find a longbed comanche, chop off the very back of the cab, and find another comanche and chop off from the very front of the cab on back. you do NOT chop the frame rails. you'd be able to meld the two together, and you'd need another spare set of front doors and cherokee rear doors to make into 1 pair of rear doors. use a cherokee B pillar as well. doing it that way, you can still retain the unibody strength, but for good measure I'd cage it. also, that method would allow you to not go any longer on the wheel base, and you only have to "BOB" the front of the box to fit the longer cab in.

this is something regularly talked about on comancheclub.com

Well if I did do it. I would use most the stuff from my current xj. But I would like to run 35 and maybe more lift. The plan I had was to cut in the middle of the rear door on mine and middle of the cab of mj use my rear door upper half and the mj lower to keep it square.

can't do it that way, the frame measurements are nowhere near being close. xj's frame is different than the MJ's immediately after the tranny crossmember.

it's best to stick with the comanche base and extend it using your cherokee parts. be aware that the rooflines of a comanche and a cherokee do not match up either.

Back