• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DASH / RADIO ACCESS SECRET

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Ok someone please show me some pics so I know how to get in there without breaking any cold plastic parts. PLEASE.

I am sure its easy, but I'm not sure if I'm removing screws to get to somthing or: Ex: ... remove A: to get to B: ...then remove B:

:read: Please pics to show me / us, Thanks :sad1: 97 + PLEASE!!!!

Last edited:
You have to pull the bottom part off. I dont think there are any screws, just pull it from the bottom up. If its cold they might break anyway, but IIRC there are no outer screws. Just pull and then there will be screws you see.

What he said helps to put shifter in nuteral center section held on with clips. After you pull center section out there are four screws to remove holds on top part of dash then remove three screws on bottom of dash. Then that part pulls out then you remove the top dash.

97+ don't have any screws holding the center plastic bezle piece which covers the radio.

I know because my friends 97 didn't have any screws for this particular panel.

But yes, the plastic will be all the more brittle because of the cold. Be careful or wait until it warms up.

There are little metal clips, make sure they come out of the dash and stay attached when you pull the center section out, otherwise pull them out and reattach them. Bottom part under the steering wheel is the same only held on with screws then clips. I'd warm it up first though and get the dash plastic at least room temp.

Rich, your Avatar gets more and more bizarre as time progesses.

WELL fellas, I got the stereo I ordered from Crutchfeld in less than 48 hours (free shipping). Also this Pioneer 1.5 Din came with very good installation instructions. Crutchfeld also included a free wiring adapter for the XJ. I was really intimidated at the wiring thing, but I got the things I figured I'd need at Radio shack (Crimp connecters) and I was all set.

The stereo went in Very easily. I SHOULD ALSO SAY IT WAS SIMPLE GETTING THE DASH COVER OFF. JUST GENTLY PULLING AT THE BOTTOM IT POPPED RIGHT OFF. ...snapped the harness in place connected the stereo, turned on the key and TADA! so I closed it all up. and LOOKS GREAT. It is really amazing how much of a difference the sound quality has increased. I would advise anyone looking for a Head unit / reciever for their 97+ XJ... GET THE PIONEER DEH-P47DH.

I was also brave enough to put two new Kenwood speakers in the sound bar (5.25) they went in perfectly with the provided hardware.

Hammered said:
Rich, your Avatar gets more and more bizarre as time progesses.

WELL fellas, I got the stereo I ordered from Crutchfeld in less than 48 hours (free shipping). Also this Pioneer 1.5 Din came with very good installation instructions. Crutchfeld also included a free wiring adapter for the XJ. I was really intimidated at the wiring thing, but I got the things I figured I'd need at Radio shack (Crimp connecters) and I was all set.

The stereo went in Very easily. I SHOULD ALSO SAY IT WAS SIMPLE GETTING THE DASH COVER OFF. JUST GENTLY PULLING AT THE BOTTOM IT POPPED RIGHT OFF. ...snapped the harness in place connected the stereo, turned on the key and TADA! so I closed it all up. and LOOKS GREAT. It is really amazing how much of a difference the sound quality has increased. I would advise anyone looking for a Head unit / reciever for their 97+ XJ... GET THE PIONEER DEH-P47DH.

I was also brave enough to put two new Kenwood speakers in the sound bar (5.25) they went in perfectly with the provided hardware.

I would not buy a head unit now without bluetooth.... and actually my next one will be a DVD unit for extra disc space.

Got the harness ready to go, instructions in hand...
P2014047.jpg

pull the base of the dash cover at both bottom corners
P2014052.jpg

Connect up the harness (wire harness was done ahead of time)
P2014048.jpg

put everything back together...
P2014053.jpg

This was just to show that the Night time lighting is similar to the scheme that is in the dash.
P2014049.jpg

RichP said:
I would not buy a head unit now without bluetooth.... and actually my next one will be a DVD unit for extra disc space.
I got a Sony unit with Bluetooth and Sirius from Crutchfield...it's Da Bomb....the car answer's the phone for me....and the conversation comes through the front speakers. Be aware....the XJ is not quiet...and some people complain of my audio...they all sound fine on my stereo......:eeks1:

ChuckstrPT said:
I got a Sony unit with Bluetooth and Sirius from Crutchfield...it's Da Bomb....the car answer's the phone for me....and the conversation comes through the front speakers. Be aware....the XJ is not quiet...and some people complain of my audio...they all sound fine on my stereo......:eeks1:

The problem with the sony and the jensen I have in the XJ is the microphone is in the face plate, the Pioneer, JVC and some others the mic plugs in so you can put it where you want it. Live and learn.
The jensen is unusable in the TJ unless you are stopped and even then if the top is off and it's windy it's not so good. Jensen stays in the XJ. JVC in the TJ.

Another tip, that a lot of people may overlook:

When installed my head unit I noticed there was absolutely NO support for the back of the head unit. It was just resting on the plastic install kit... which definitely wouldn't have held up to offroading.

So notice the pictures that Hammered posted, if you look closely at the empty dash picture you'll see two little shelf like things on each side of the dash behind where the radio goes.

I cut out a piece of 1X2 board and taped it in place back there, letting the radio rest on top of it. It works PERFECTLY. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures right now, but when I take it out to install my amp I'll snap some really quick. Just food for thought.

Hammered said:
Rich, your Avatar gets more and more bizarre as time progesses

I agree!!! I'm gonna start having nightmares!! :shiver: :eek: :bawl:

Heheh :cheers:

crystalship1 said:
I agree!!! I'm gonna start having nightmares!! :shiver: :eek: :bawl:

Heheh :cheers:

NIGHTMARES! I've already had them. Comes with the territory, old Jeeps and KIDS most of all. One of them woke me at 4 am today, the 20 year old son, and I had just gone to bed.:( :banghead:

Nice work on this stereo thread, but I want my Cassette tape player!!! Crutchfield is a great outfit. I bought a nice indoor, wireless, powered antenna from them.

So what is bluetooth, some new kind of cavity, LOL!!!!

Next thing you guys will be using your radio to chat with the ice box on the way home asking for a grocery list update!

Hmm, not a bad idea! :sunshine:

Ecomike said:
So what is bluetooth, some new kind of cavity, LOL!!!!
Bluetooth is a nice short rang wireless setup that connects to phones, computers, headsets, etc. Most new phones have bluetooth and the manufacturers are starting to put it in factory cars and trucks. BT has been around a while, Morris mini coopers had it for a few years, you could drive in the dealer and they would 'read' your cars ECU as you drove by the antenna/receiver and tell you the problem by the time you walked in to the service desk, in theory anyway, never saw it work myself.
At some point there will be a big laptop drive in an enclosure that will connect with your sound system and download your media. I think one of the manufacturers has one that you can push your tunes down to the car from your homes media PC over bluetooth so you could automatically refresh your cars sound system on a regular basis if you wanted to.
I've had mine for about 3 years now and am spoiled by it, no more handling the phone while behind the wheel, now I just voice dial over the stereo system or just scroll thru the phones phone book using the head units display.

And as usual Microsoft is trying to get a monopoly on it with the new smart systems they are putting in Fords.

I first ran into BT about 7 years ago reading about how easy it was to hack the devices in hacker magazine, LOL. The big buzz was the potential for virus hits on BT, so I never used it, but the prodical son (mine) already has an I-Phone with BT...etc, so it has already crossed over into MY domain in spite of my efforts to stone wall it, LOL, now if I can just teach him how to change the oil in his car, LOL.

PS, I was making a joke about blue cavities and BT, but your post should be helpful to lots of newbies reading this thread. Sounds (Pun intended) like you really are hooked on it and the fancy sound upgrades already!!!! No doub't they will find me soon enough too. I nearly got hooked on Sirius radio after just 2 days in rental Jeep! They should have addiction warnings on that stuff just like tabacoo!

Last edited:
Speaking of Bluetooth....so the wife's 05 Town and Country family van's bluetooth reciever has gone out...according to the stealership....4-500 bones to fix it... I can get a nice radio for 500 bucks. Problem is, the whole system is intergrated...Radio, Sirius, NAV, DVD..... I'm not thinking replacing the system is a possibility. Anyone know WHERE that module it located??? :shocked:

crazyjim said:
Another tip, that a lot of people may overlook:

When installed my head unit I noticed there was absolutely NO support for the back of the head unit. It was just resting on the plastic install kit... which definitely wouldn't have held up to offroading.

So notice the pictures that Hammered posted, if you look closely at the empty dash picture you'll see two little shelf like things on each side of the dash behind where the radio goes.

I cut out a piece of 1X2 board and taped it in place back there, letting the radio rest on top of it. It works PERFECTLY. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures right now, but when I take it out to install my amp I'll snap some really quick. Just food for thought.

In the case of this Pioneer unit it is the exact same size as the stock (1.5 Din). So I imagine if you get the smaller size (1 din) you may have issues. I have read to many things about how poorly the Installation kits usually are with the smaller size stereos. Thats how I got set on this head unit.

If youre just looking to upgrade your stereo, and play cds / listen to the radio... I'd say this is the way to go. I'm not one to need a DVD player in the jeep. My next dash upgrade is a GPS... and a CB.

ChuckstrPT said:
Speaking of Bluetooth....so the wife's 05 Town and Country family van's bluetooth reciever has gone out...according to the stealership....4-500 bones to fix it... I can get a nice radio for 500 bucks. Problem is, the whole system is intergrated...Radio, Sirius, NAV, DVD..... I'm not thinking replacing the system is a possibility. Anyone know WHERE that module it located??? :shocked:

As far as I know from other jeep owner from 04-07 the BT never worked in Chrysler vehicles. A friend of mine has an 07 wrangler and we [me] spent about 4 hours trying to get it to pair with a variety of cell phones with no success. Did your wifes ever work ?

Back