• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Alarm

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
Just bought a 91 Limited and the alarm had been set off, it not will not do anything, the entire electrical system has been shut down, I don't have the factory keyless/alarm remote, I've unpluged the alarm with no avail.

Any ideas?

Okay, put a new battery in and it will fire, run for a very short time and then quit, I unpluged the alarm and the lights/horn/flashers stopped flashing but it will still not keep running.

Ideas?????????????????????????????????????

this jeep is real clean and I only paid $300 for it. It'll be my new trail rig and I've got the 242 sold for $300. Need to keep this one. I'm replacing the CPS tomarrow, it'd be nice it that would be the problem.

Any other options?

ROTFLMAO...... Call a stealership. And good luck!

call you local automotive electronics shop.... they should be able to tell you where to look for the control box and probably how to disable it.. be sure to tell them that you will be buying a whole new system from them to get rid of the current headache. it will make them a whole lot more interested in helping you.. have you called the dealer and asked wjhat info you need to get a new remote? they canalso tell you where to look for it and what it looks like....
mike

mike

I have had a similar problem. If you have any of the 3 security alarm fuses pulled it won't start. Try putting the fuses back in and see if it starts. I went to the stealership and asked how I could disable the alarm. They told me that the alarm module is within the Body Control Module (BCM) and can't be disabled without replacing the BCM with one that doesn't contain the alarm wiring. I don't want to spend that kind of $. They also told me the cheapest thing to do is to go to your local aftermarket alarm store and get a factory alarm bypass module. This will disable the factory alarm. I just found this all out a few days ago and haven't been able to get to a store yet, so I don't know if you can just buy the bypass or you have to get it with a new alarm system.

From the FSM ....

"Passive arming occurs upon normal vehicle exit (open door, lock with power locks, close door). The Security lamp in the panel will flash for 15 seconds, indicating that arming is in progress. Note that this 15 second arming period will start after the Illuminated Entry has timed out (courtesy lamps off). If no monitored systems are activated during this period, the system will arm. If the hood switch is not seen by the system, the Security lamp will remain steadily lit during the arming process, although the system will still arm."

"Passive disarming occurs upon normal vehicle entry (unlocking either door with the key). This disarming will also hault the alarm once it has been activated."

"Upon initial installation (connection to battery), the Vehicle Theft Security System enters its power up alarm mode which flashes the headlamps, park and tail lamps, and prevents the engine from running. To exit this mode, the system must be disarmed as mentioned previsously".

"The alarm system will not arm if the doors are manually locked, providing a manual override of alarm."

BTW: I'm curious ... was it like this when you bought it or did you inadvertanly activate the alarm after driving it home? If it's the latter you literally stole this one for $300 bucks!

If you have more trouble let me know... I can scan the entire section in the FSM and send you a PDF.

bchulett said:
From the FSM ....

"Passive disarming occurs upon normal vehicle entry (unlocking either door with the key). This disarming will also hault the alarm once it has been activated."

correct me if I'm wrong. All I have to do is lock the doors via the power locks, then unlock the doors with the key? I'll be pissed (yet very happy) if it's that easy.

I bought it in the condition it's in, but the dealer drove it to their lot prior to alarm problems. They were called in the middle of the night by a neighbor telling them that the alarm was going off. The Jeep hasn't started since.

Fo"` Wheeler:

You know... you should be able to run without the doors and still leave the Security System in pl``e... jrt `voi arming the sys$`m.

And when you disBnnnect/reconnect the battery... simply disarm the security system startup mnde 4qinf th key on the back lift-g@pe lock,$-this disarms it also.

It should be all connected if someone hasen't talper$` with the rystda.... and shnce pou&re tnnhng $aorlessqou don't need an anti-theft device.

Now if you want to run without the rear door also... well H thhdk it would be a major Ddfort to disable the system ... but it probably can be done. Keep in mind the schem`ticdn this thing i very c.lplicated.

One thing to remember is the alarm is very robust system.... but depending on prior deferred maintenance it could become one's worst nightmare---this alarm system has saved my XJ from thieves twice since new.

Learn the sequence of how it operates and you should be good to go. Another factor is when the contacts on the entry lock get oxidized from weather ... sometimes it won't disable the alarm when trying to open the door. This started happening on mine only during the winter. This was when my remote was broke... I replaced the remote... $160 later... and the alarm still works like new.

I wouldn't mess with the electronics or replace the alarm system... you've got the best one on there now.

I'm told this is a more cost effective alternative than the dealer for remotes...

http://www.thejeep.com/piland.html

Fore Wheeler said:
correct me if I'm wrong. All I have to do is lock the doors via the power locks, then unlock the doors with the key? I'll be pissed (yet very happy) if it's that easy.

You're correct ... it's that easy if the alarm is functioning properly !

Another issue to consider ... if you forget to lock the rear door and arm the Security system per instructions above and someone comes along an opens the rear door ... the alarm will go off !! That may be what happened at the dealer when someone was checking out that fine Limited XJ in the middle of the night.

If you arm the Sercurity System and then lock the rear door manually then the security system will disable.

WARNING ... The rear door lock on Jeeps that are equipped with the Security System are supposed to lock automatically when the electric locks are activated at the driver door ... or with the Security System remote transmitter.

The rear door on my 91XJ has never operated correctly since new and the dealer could never get it to lock automatically without tearing apart the entire wiring loom to find the break----many times I have armed my alarm thinking the rear door was locked.

Okay, once I have time to get back to this XJ, and say I get it running, how do I eliminate the alarm?

I'm going to run doorless and it'll be a trail rig only.

I don't want the alarm. Do I have to change the compter? I have one from my 93 that I'm going to be parting out this winter, or at this time can I pull the fuses, unplug the alarm and change the computer?

I had a '90 that got stolen....
Then I bought a late model year '90 and had the factory alarm system for a '91 installed by the dealer. Many problems with sensors. Had to glue a couple pennies to the rubber spacer/bumper on the hatch so that the sensor switch made contact. Was always going off in the middle of the night.

Finally gave up and asked the dealer to disconnect it. He said it COULDN'T BE DONE. In too deep in the computer. (that's 2 votes).
This is a dealer that knows the difference between a jeep and a pretender, incidentally.

I just set mine to "Valet" and all was good for the next 10 years. Of course, that doesn't solve your problem.

Set it on "Valet" ... what's that ??

Are you sure the dealer installed a '91 factory alarm ??

I've owned a loaded '91 Laredo since new and I'm not familiar with a "Valet" function.

The valet button was in a housing about 3/8" high x1-1/2" long that also included a panic/armed button. Green for valet, red for panic/armed. The valet turned the thing off. The red one blinked when activated and when you pushed it, the alarm would go off.

Can't say I ever saw a '91. Was told that the system was the same one as the factory '91, but you are correct on the computer being different. Hmmm. Had to be Mopar - paid $450 or something. LOL.

The only thing that killed it was when Momma laid it on its side and the fire department cut the battery cables.

Fore Wheeler said:
bchulett, what do you think about after the system is disarmed, cutting power to the "security" box, would this disable the security system??

I don't know what would happen... I think you would need to explore that for yourself ... I still need to get to work in my XJ in the morning.

The thing I can help you with is when I get the chance over the next week, I'll scan the Security System section in the FSM that covers the electrical wiring diagram and send you a pdf---if i'm not mistaken it shows every connection and interface with the CPU.

Let me know if you want it ...

Kevin...

I don't want to imply the dealer mislead you ... but I believe it would cost more than $450 to retrofit a 1991 factory Security System on your 1990 XJ---of course, depending on what your '90 model was equipped with originally.

I believe they charge that just to replace the starter.

This is an elaborate system that includes retrofitting to five electric door locks, a hood switch, ignition cutoff, dome lamps, front/rear parking lamps, headlamps, timers, infared transmitter and reciever... am I missing something ?

Damn, I paid $160 just for a factory transmitter.

Are you sure they didn't say "factory like" when they sold you the alarm ?

Back