• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Offroad Rock Slyders w/frame stiffeners???

Sonic Pfish

NAXJA Member #1292
Does anybody have any experience with these combination Frame Stiffeners and Rock Sliders? I am going to do something to reinforce the unibody on my XJ and was considering the TNT customs weld on Stiffeners but just saw these. Apparently they are a CT based company and they have a link to NAXJA on their site. The combination product appears to have a boxed steel that seats up against the unibody frame rail and gets bolted and welded in place with rosette welds. I don't think it sandwiches the frame rail though. The slyders then extend out from the stiffeners and also have integrated pinch seam attachment points. Are these all that? Would it be better to go with TNT customs stiffeners and Belly pan and make my own boxed rectangular tubing sliders and weld them to the underside of the doors as sliders? Any thoughts with these issues or experience with Detours Slyders appreciated.

top notch product made in america by a top notch, detail oriented company...

give Mark a call and talk with him, tell him your specific goals, and just have a conversation...

Detours does great work and stands by their products...

X2 on the plug for Detours.. the sliders attatch to the chassis using the forward leaf spring bolt and the rear LCA bolts and are welded in-place as well. right now you might have a hard time getting ahold of Mark because he is moving from Ct but i'm sure he is keeping track of emails and PMs.. just not following up yet. doesnt have a new phone yet.
get in line for something from him, it will be worth the waiting.

X3. Have them. Like them. They essentially put a box-tubed steel frame under the XJ from spring mount in the rear and mount to UCA in front. Stiffner and slide in one boxed unit. Couple that with new cross member (TntT or DPG) and you have tied the jeep together with a steel "H". And, then the rear can further strengthened with a gas tank shield and rear bumper; the front with a bumper that ties back into the subframe.
Shipped via UPS all the way across country.

top notch product made in america by a top notch, detail oriented company...

give Mark a call and talk with him, tell him your specific goals, and just have a conversation...

Detours does great work and stands by their products...

its funny you say that, I called him up about ordering one of his bumpers, he was able to modify it a little for me- which came out perfect by the way
and somehow we ended up talkin about old corvetts and nascar for like half an hour...

garr said:
Do you guys have a contact # for detours ?,
The number listed on their website is NG.

it looks like it's taking Mark longer to get settled in after the move than he expected.. if you send an email he will at least get it and get back to you as soon as he can..

mudxj92 said:
can these be used with the DPG rock attack skid?

They can be used with DPG tcase skid-its a tight fit but I made it work with a BFH. There are holes on the sides of the frame stiffener part (for welding to the uniframe) that allow you to drill some bolt holes thru the tcase skid and frame. IMHO excellent combo.

jxj said:
They can be used with DPG tcase skid-its a tight fit but I made it work with a BFH. There are holes on the sides of the frame stiffener part (for welding to the uniframe) that allow you to drill some bolt holes thru the tcase skid and frame. IMHO excellent combo.
BFH?
So there is enough space between stiffener tube and uni-frame to fit the skid, you just have to drill a hole through the stiffener tube to access the three bolts of the skid? Does that skid stuck between the two tubes make it hard to weld stiffener to uni-frame?
thanks

floppy said:
BFH?
So there is enough space between stiffener tube and uni-frame to fit the skid, you just have to drill a hole through the stiffener tube to access the three bolts of the skid? Does that skid stuck between the two tubes make it hard to weld stiffener to uni-frame?
thanks

With my setup there was enough space between the stiffeners and the uniframed-tight fit but with a Big F***ing Hammer it sat all the way. My stiffeners from Detours were the ones with the holes to weld to the frame-two in the center and two more to the back-with the two in the center I had to drill holes thru the skid plate and frame to put the bolts in. Therefore the three holes in the DPG skid were not used at all. The two holes to the back were the ones used to weld to the frame. This setup was solid.

On mine, with the Detours stiffner/sliders and TnT belly pan, I cut the 90*angle section that bolts to the unibody from the belly-pan and welded it as a flat piece that then bolted not to the unibody, but bolted to the underside of the frame-stiffner - thicker metal there anyway.
There is not room between the Detour stiffner and the unibody for the TnT angle of 1/4 plate, at lest I did not find such, but I did not try a BFH.

I sent an email to detours but no response, this was about three weeks ago.

I wanted more info or pictures, i need more info before I spend $450+. I want to be sure it will stiffen well when compared to TnT stiffeners option. If anyone has any convincing info or pictures I am open to listen. I know the posts above like the product but nothing specific as to a noticeable improvement of flex. I am tired of my doors squeaking, and I know it is doing long-term damage. Where are the welds exactly? What undesired uni-body flex are they resisting? thanks for any help

their site talks about "4 strategically placed welds" well where are they exactly. the bolted connections at front lca and rear leaf pack, how will that resist flexing of the body if technically the bolted connection can have play it in. Seems like a round hole that did require complete removal of the bolts to install would be more secure. Eventually a slotted connection will fatigue, or the bolts loosen. sorry i really want to believe in this product before i drop the greenback, please help

Last edited:
x2, i've never actually seen them other than the tiny pics on their website...

I talked to Mark 2 weeks ago about the slider/stiffeners. I'm not worried about the quality from Detours, I know Mark has tested them and they will do the job.

I was more concerned about the "lead time" due to his recent move. He said then that he was running 20 days behind on orders and was getting better everyday.

I also wanted to know if he could move the slider out some for me due to the amount of trees I wheel around, I would like for them to be out at least as far as the door handles which he said he could do. His fixture has an inch or so of room built into it so they could be out further.

I'll be ordering mine as soon as I have some extra cash.

floppy said:
(snip)
I wanted more info or pictures, i need more info before I spend $450+. I want to be sure it will stiffen well when compared to TnT stiffeners option. If anyone has any convincing info or pictures I am open to listen.

Their site talks about "4 strategically placed welds" well where are they exactly. the bolted connections at front lca and rear leaf pack, how will that resist flexing of the body if technically the bolted connection can have play it in. Seems like a round hole that did require complete removal of the bolts to install would be more secure. Eventually a slotted connection will fatigue, or the bolts loosen. sorry i really want to believe in this product before i drop the greenback, please help

I went with the Detours frame stiffeners and adapted them to the rock rails I already had, primarily because they tie into front and rear suspension points. I was thinking the suspension points see lots of impact and twisting forces and the other style of reinforcement plates that fall short of these mounts are just concentrating the stress elsewhere, while the suspension points still twist around.
Overall they will be tied into the front/rear suspension mounts, rosette welded along the "frame" rails, rock rail legs welded to it, and soon the cage will drop through the floor to it.
As mentioned earlier, product quality is top notch. They bolted on perfectly and sit as snug to the rails as possible. Well designed.
As far as a noticeable reduction in body flex, that's hard to quantify on my rig. I'm mainly concerned with preventing cracks in the body - so far so good. The body is disposable, why not try to help the lifespan though.

Back