• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting a 2WD XJ?

funkle95

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to NAXJA and I gotta say, this site is an awesome source of info! I searched a bit, and I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything on lifting a 2WD XJ. I have a 95 Sport 4-door with a 4.0 and an auto trans. I was wondering if there was a possibility of driveshaft vibrations, and how I would resolve such an issue should it happen? Normally a TC drop or a SYE/CV shaft would be a great way to solve a driveline vibe, but obviously that doesn't apply with a 2WD truck. I was planning on going with a combo of parts to achieve about 2" of lift total. I have never lifted a 2WD truck before so I'm not sure what to expect. For the front I had either OME 2" springs, or a more budget friendly spacer in mind. For the rear I was planning on using Quadratec's XJ heavy duty leafs with some kind of shackle. This truck is supposed to become the family camping machine, and it will only see light off road use. I wanted the lift to allow for the fitment of slightly larger, better performing (and better looking) tires. I also plan on towing a trailer with this setup. I would appreciate any advise you guys can give me on this project. I have tried to soak up as much info as I can, just wanted to run my idea past the experts before I waste any money on anything! Thanks for your help!

I have the rubicon 5.5 on mine and i didnt need anything till i went with poly transmission mount have a small vibration now but a shim should take care of that.....

lifting a 2wd jeep is very similar.... everything is the same except drive shafts... and, if my brain is correct, the angle changes induced by the lift would be less on a longer drive shaft, then on a short 4wd (a friend has a RE 3.5" on his 2wd mj, no vibes) so youll be fine on a BB
you dont have to explain why you want to lift a 2wd jeep.... but.... 2"?? man up to at least 3", even if its a soft 3" anything less is not worth pulling coils for(or buying new leafs)
a lifted and shoed 2wd jeep would be more fun then a stock 4wd with street tires, anyday imho... but thats in socal...
hope you got some fire roads to mash

Last edited:
To be honest i chose 2" to lessen the possibility of drivetrain vibes. And upon doing some more research I have found that the whole HD leafs with BB shackle will end up costing me just as much as a decent 3" AAL would. I could combine that with some 3" springs up front and some new shocks for around the same price as the 2" setup. Will a 3" lift have any ill affect on my ability to haul a moderately sized trailer? The lift in question would likely be Rusty's 3" AAL. Or would an actual 3" spring pack serve me better while towing?

hope you got some fire roads to mash...

I don't have much in the way of fire roads down here in south florida, but I do have some pretty cool sandy two tracks to hit. As well as some rough gravel roads on the way to some of my favorite hiking trailheads!

I have a 4.5" coils up front and 3" leaf packs in the rear on my 2x4 XJ. It goes to 'H' on MPH on the speedo that is sitting just below zero, and it doenst have any drive line vibrations... Youll be fine.

I would recommend a Rough Country 3" aal before the Rusty's kit. Just search the forums for the differences between customer satisfaction. I bought a 3" aal from RC and am very pleased with it.

You can use a t-case drop on a 2wd. It just drops the cross member and they are all the same.

I dont think you'll have driveline vibration issues because the 2wd driveshaft is so much longer then the 4wd ones.

I guess I was just under the impression that I couldn't do a TC drop due to there not being a TC, haha. I just went straight to a SYE/CV on my TJ so I have no prior experience with a TC drop. And thanks for turning me on to the RC kits, the folks here seem to be much more pleased with RC over Rusty's stuff. I knew you guys would steer me in the right direction!

What's up,I'm running an 89 with 5.5 and havn't had any vibs or problems. I run it pretty hard too!
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I put 4.5" lift on my jeep before i converted it to 4wd. I did put a !" crossmember drop (transfercase drop) on after I did the lift.

000_0230r.jpg

dlgriffin said:
I put 4.5" lift on my jeep before i converted it to 4wd. I did put a !" crossmember drop (transfercase drop) on after I did the lift.

000_0230r.jpg

I bet those front tires plowed pretty good before the 4wd !

funkle95 said:
I am new to NAXJA and I gotta say, this site is an awesome source of info! I searched a bit, and I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything on lifting a 2WD XJ. I have a 95 Sport 4-door with a 4.0 and an auto trans. I was wondering if there was a possibility of driveshaft vibrations, and how I would resolve such an issue should it happen? Normally a TC drop or a SYE/CV shaft would be a great way to solve a driveline vibe, but obviously that doesn't apply with a 2WD truck. I was planning on going with a combo of parts to achieve about 2" of lift total. I have never lifted a 2WD truck before so I'm not sure what to expect. For the front I had either OME 2" springs, or a more budget friendly spacer in mind. For the rear I was planning on using Quadratec's XJ heavy duty leafs with some kind of shackle. This truck is supposed to become the family camping machine, and it will only see light off road use. I wanted the lift to allow for the fitment of slightly larger, better performing (and better looking) tires. I also plan on towing a trailer with this setup. I would appreciate any advise you guys can give me on this project. I have tried to soak up as much info as I can, just wanted to run my idea past the experts before I waste any money on anything! Thanks for your help!

unless you are planning on regearing or towing only a tiny trailer, you may regret it...especially since it's an auto . depending on trailer weight/tire size/terrain (hills) you may experience gutless ness, poor gas milage, hot tranny.

i would suggest a31" tire as a max for towing with stock gears, and 2000 lb.max trailer weight

lol, i had about 4.5-5" of lift on my old 2wd, used to bash through mud, woods, all kinds of crap, just punch it and hold on, then again i only paid 125 bucks for the whole truck, so.... dirt roads at 75 mph were a blast....

Back