• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airbag installation...

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to get some verification before I install these new bags and module. These bags are going into my 99 DD. I picked up a passenger bag and module out of a 99 at the junk yard, and the steering wheel bag came from another NAXJA member. Now it is my understanding that if the module has depolyed the bags, it will deploy both bags, not just one side. The steering wheel was removed from the donor at the junk yard, so there was no way of telling what condition that bag was in, but I am guessing that if the pass. bag was not deployed then the drivers bag would not have been either. I have the FSM for this rig, but it does not really tell too much other then to disconnnect the battery before installation. So my question is, is this really as simple as installing the new bags and then install the module, hook up the battery and hpoe to hell that something is not messed up and I just blew 2 bags??? From my reading/researching this topic on here and in the FSM, it shows that the 99 has only the one module located under the console and that is it....

Am I missing something???

I just replaced my airbag in my 98, I Disconected the battery, and removed the airbag. I replaced the air bag then connected the battery. Used remote start to start it.. Everything worked for me.

I did replace the clock spring while I was at it (added cruise control)

You must replace the clockspring in the steering wheel also.

Both airbags should have deployed if a Cherokee was in a wreck.

I just replaced the bags, controller and clockspring in a 99 and all I did was disconnect the battery and let it sit for 1 hour before I did the airbag work.

Back