• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Infinity Amp Wiring

splatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I did a search and found some info on the Inifinity system, but not what I was looking for. I just bought a lifted '01 XJ and he advertised it with the Infinity Gold stereo that he purchased on e-Bay and installed. The HU is the Gold, but there is no amp under the rear seat! My understanding from researching online is that all the Jeep HU's output speaker level and the Infinity amp just takes speaker level ins. I'm assuming he is just running the Gold HU speaker level outs to the stock 4 speaker system (no tweeters either). I was wondering if the 4-speaker XJ has the wiring harness in place to add the amp? Could I just get an amp off eBay and plug-n-play?

For speakers I plan to run Infinity 5022i's in the sound bar, 5020cs components on the door and an 8" sub in the XJ pod out back (XJ pod came with it but no speaker).

I'd rather save the money and just install the Infinity amp and be done with it. But, if I need to add the harness, I'm probably better off buying a new HU. Since I am anal-retentive, I am forced to buy the Pioneer 1.5 DIN to avoid seeing the adapter plate that will bug the heck out of me! I wished someone would make a 1.5 DIN with built-in LCD for the aftermarket! If Jeep can do it for their NAV, why can't the aftermarket?

Any thoughts/comments?

Well, if the previous owner ran the line-level outputs from the HU directly to the speakers, you wouldn't get hardly any volume. If you can crank it pretty good, the HU definately has it's own built in amp, and possibly the box that goes under the rear seat is just a crossover.

you want to waste all that effort for an amp that only does 19w RMS a channel?

I have about 5 or 6 of those Jeep Infinity amps... 2 are keepin my workbench level, 2 are wheel chocks and I used the other one as a transmission adapter for my floorjack.

that amp is a serious waste.

Power is relative! If you have efficient speakers, you don't need massive amounts of power! My home stereo consists of an 8W single-ended tube amp which sounds like a waste. Couple that with my Klipsch RF-7 towers at 101dB/W/m and that 8W will make your ears bleed! :guitar:

My understanding is that the HU puts out speaker level and not line level. The Inifinity amp take speaker level inputs. Can someone please confirm/deny this?

CheapXJ ... so what about the wiring? Is it there or not? If it is, want to send me one of those amps? I'll pay for shipping and everything! :laugh3:

If the XJ did not come factory with the infinity system then the wiring will not be there to go to the amp or optional sub. The only part of the wiring that will be in place on any 97-01 that goes with the infinity system is the tweeter wiring in the doors since it just brides off the door speakers. The amp is locater under the rear seat.

97-01 Infinity AMP.
XJAMP56007653AD.jpg

Back