• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recomend a welder

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy a welder soon and would like to be able to burn up to 1/4 for bumpers, sliders and such, and also small suspension stuff like shock tabs and such. What do yall recomend to start out on?

if your gonna drop that much coin, might as well spend a little more and get a 220 and run a line for it.

220v

It's not that hard to wire up an outlet. Get a 175/180 unit.

I've used a 110v Lincoln with flux-core to do 1/8" steel, and it worked great. I might even feel comfortable with it on 3/16", but I wouldn't use it for 1/4", especially if you want to use gas.

When I linked the rear of my MJ and did some cage work last fall I used that 110v Lincoln for all the 1/8" and smaller and to weld to the uni-body, but I have an old 220v AC arc welder that I picked up for $50 that I did all the thicker stuff with.

I just bought a new Millermatic 175 mig to suppement my aging 60 amp Clarke. I will work 1/4" with no problem at all. Very nice machine.

I have a 220v outlet in the laundry room. Could I safely run a 220v welder on an extension cord (it's not very far at all), or is that asking for trouble? I'm thinking I may be better off with a less expensive 110v unit.

Last edited:
I took a look at the outlets for my washer and dryer and the 2 upper prongs are diagnal. Is there any type of adapter that would allow me to plug in a 220 Welder?

Go 220. I have a Lincoln SP100 that works pretty well considering the lack of power. I welded 1/4 plate to my DOM (forgot the size) tie rod for my ram. It's still there but I worry about it. But I picked up my SP for $75. Before that I was going Hobart, Lincoln 175 or better. Which I will sooner or later. Probably when my ram rips off.

Go with one of the big 3. Size is a matter of your budget. I have the Hobart 140, and I have had no trouble doing up to 1/4 inch plate. I know experts will say it's a stretch on the capability, but I haven't had any weld failures on any of the nerf bars, sliders, or bumpers I've built for the three trail Jeeps in our family ('87 YJ, '97 TJ, and my '96 XJ. Before you buy online and pay shipping, check your local welding supply shop. I think their prices are pretty close to what I see on EBay for a new unit. Used units are less, but you don't get to return a defective one.
You can see my work on http://home.windstream.net/rsolomon/Jeep.htm

Back