• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch pedal hits floor, won't shift??

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
I got an issue with my 96 XJ 5speed. This evening while driving around, I came to a light and popped it out of gear. I go to put it in gear - the clutch pedal went to the floor with zero resistance, but it went in to first and did NOT want to come out of gear. I had to shut off the engine to get it out of gear.

While on the way home, I experienced this quite a few more times, so it is getting worse.

I checked the fluid level when i got home - level is even with the white part in the master. Does that sound correct?

Slave cylinder going bad? This is occuring randomly, does not happen when I am rolling and switching gears, just at a dead stop. When I am at a dead stop, I did try just pumping the pedal a few times without shifting once - I could feel typical fluid resistance when pushing it.

EDIT: It is something similar to this first post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=916067

EDIT #2: Also, maybe not, but I think it also only happens when I drive it for a while. That first time was after 30 mins on the freeway.

Help?

Last edited:
OK, I found a good flashlight and checked the fluid. The level is actually fairly low judging from the vertical fill line on the inside. It is also brownish and got some crusty dried crap in it. I inherited this thing with issues, should of checked this, too.

I know there is an allen head on the top of the slave cylinder which i think can be opened, so I'm going to try and gravity bleed it tomorrow, see what happens.

Last edited:
No, no leaking. Plastic line is solid and not warped or bent in any way.

I doubt the fluid level has ever been checked on this thing. Previous owner abused it, I have been fixing all sorts of little things on it.

UPDATE:

OK, I topped off the fluid and I drove it around today. What I found was after 20 mins, the transmission will "lock" into a gear or nto want to go into a gear. If it gets locked, the clutch pedal stays on the floor. I shut the jeep off, release the clutch pedal, and it will come back up and I can take the jeep out of gear.

Now I can't say for certain it will stay completely because I am holding it in so the jeep won't stall, buty it is definetly locked into a gear. This is also acoompanied by the pedal going to the floor with no pressure. Its really weird.

Suggestions??

That was my post!! :clap: replace the MC/SC/HOSE combo! ~ 140 bucks at chyslerpartsdirect.com

67o9ws0.jpg

Back