• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose Pitman Arm?

Fourxfour79

NAXJA Forum User
The Short of It: Can a pitman arm become loose from the output (sector shaft of a steering box? The nut is tight but there is a slight amount of play in it. The shaft doesn't feel like it moves but the pitman arm definately does.

The Long of It:
It all started with the ambiguos death wobble. I did some research and checked all the usual issues. Ball Joints, Tie rod ends and gear (steering) box, and hub bearings. I've replaced the steering box with one from a reputable used parts place that even warrenties their parts for up to six mo. I replaced the ball joints, a couple of rod ends and rechecked the track bar mounts. All seemed well then I took it for a test drive. Still DW'd. I rechecked everything and the steering box was bad (the one i'd bought) I took it back and replaced it with another used one (I like used, it sounds better than junk :)) Now, I checked it again and it feels like the pitman arm is loose. I checked the bolt that secures the pitman arm to the sector (output) shaft and that feels tight.

Back Ground:
99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 door HO I 6 111k mi. Hunter Green
Been battlin' death wobble for a while now and think I see the light at the end of the tunnel

Thanks in Advance,
Frustrated Dan

I own an '84, so some of the hardware might be different, but overall I think this might help you out...My pitman arm had to be replaced, not because the nut was the issue, or my steering box, it was because on the inside of the pitman arm there are splines that mate up with the steering shaft. Most likely, due to strenuous steering, these splines may have little bit of play in them. Its easy enough to check, by just taking off the pitman.

Again, this may not solve your specific problem, but I figured anything might help, and a pitman arm is a pitman arm...i think :)

Ed

that's pretty much what I was looking to hear, if it was possible that the pitman arm could become worn. It's such a beefy peice of steel that I found it hard to believe that could happen to it. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks for the help,
Dan

Yeah I was pretty impressed by the fact that mine was able to work itself a little loose. I had almost an 1/8" of play in mine. I don't know if you run trails or rock gardens, but I think thats what did in mine--aggresive steering--but it just seems weird to me that the steering box didn't go out...it was the 2" wide hunk of metal haha.

Back