• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling out steering box threads

600dollarxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about drilling out the steering box mounting threads so I could run a nut and bolt. Has anyone does this or have any comments on it? I've been pulling the steering box off quite a bit while fabbing my bumper and its a huge pain getting the box lined back up to get the bolts threaded in.

600dollarxj said:
I was thinking about drilling out the steering box mounting threads so I could run a nut and bolt. Has anyone does this or have any comments on it? I've been pulling the steering box off quite a bit while fabbing my bumper and its a huge pain getting the box lined back up to get the bolts threaded in.

Why for do that? Get a stud with the proper thread for while you're fabbing, and then use the screws to put it back in "for real" when you're done.

If I remember the steering box correctly, you'll also have to spotface the backside of the mounting tabs so you can get the nut to retain properly, without a side load on the screw. That, and there may not be enough clearance to do it properly.

Use studs (finger-tight) for the mockup work, and then put the screws back in when you're all done.

Back