• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball bearings in an AX15?

600dollarxj

NAXJA Forum User
I dissassembled a 2wd AX15 I had and ended up with two ball bearings laying in the pan I was working in. None of the transmission bearings look like ball bearings, so where did they come from in the transmission?

600dollarxj said:
I dissassembled a 2wd AX15 I had and ended up with two ball bearings laying in the pan I was working in. None of the transmission bearings look like ball bearings, so where did they come from in the transmission?

They're probably not "bearings" - they're probably "detent balls" for the shift rails. You know how you feel that positive "step" when you shift into gear? That's the detent working. If you remember looking at the shift rails and seeing gouges machined into them, they mate with the "ball bearings" you're looking at (and they're usually spring-loaded for positive action.)

Back