• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I Do

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey my jeep is on 33x12.50x15 firestone destination mt's mounted on 15x8 rims. Open dana 30 up front and 8.25 29 spline in the rear which is also open. I really want to weld my rear so both rear wheels spin at the same time to acheive maximum traction off-road. I drive my jeep everyday to and from work and sometimes on 60mi trips one way to certain places. I have a heavy foot and can you guys tell me exactly what I should weld, spyder gears ect...and would welding it be perfectly fine for the everyday driving I do? Also is the tire wear real bad when the rear is welded. Thanks!

99 cherokee sport, 4.0 auto

I wouldnt weld it if you drive on the street. Ideally I would get a selectable in the rear but those are expensive. You could go with a lockright, which replaces the spider gears in the differential.

personally i wouldn'nt run a lincoln locker in a d/d,i don't know what your finances are like but those lunghbox lockers that replace the spiders aren"t that much cash any more and are relatively simple to install.i have one in my d35 and hasn't let me down yet(that just my opinion)

first if u plan on driveing it on the street DON'T WELD IT!! it'll be cheaper easy to just by a limtied slip differental or a locker or a posi or what ever u want to call it if u weld it u'll end up spending more money on new axles that u'll snap and tires in 6 moutns then u would on 2 new differental i have a friend that tried this with an 88 pontiac firebird and he can't keep axle's in the car i would garentee u will have the same problem and if ur axle doesn't break every turn u make the trie on the inside of the turn will scream an djerk and jump and then ur axle will break

MTBracer367 said:
first if u plan on driveing it on the street DON'T WELD IT!! it'll be cheaper easy to just by a limtied slip differental or a locker or a posi or what ever u want to call it if u weld it u'll end up spending more money on new axles that u'll snap and tires in 6 moutns then u would on 2 new differental i have a friend that tried this with an 88 pontiac firebird and he can't keep axle's in the car i would garentee u will have the same problem and if ur axle doesn't break every turn u make the trie on the inside of the turn will scream an djerk and jump and then ur axle will break

Don't believe the above BS....:twak: All of that and you said it in one sentence... You even spelled some words correct...

I've put over 25,000 miles on my welded 27 spline 8.25" rear axle. I run 33x10.50-15 BFG AT's on it and they are still over half tread. I rotate them every oil change and run about 25psi in the rear for proper tire wear. I haven't broken an axle and I drive with a heavy right foot. I have hauled over 1000 pounds in it many times. I wheel it hard offroad and have only broken front shafts/u-joints.

Guess what I still have the original shafts and the same tires.:moon:

Last edited:
MTBracer367 said:

Wow.. now that's a run on sentence!

Unfortunetly, I believe the only "lunchbox" locker available for your 29 spline is the powertrax no slip, but thats around $350 bucks. That being said, my last cherokee was daily driven at times, and it was welded. It does accelerate the tire wear, but I never broke a shaft in it...It is tougher on the suspension, and it is annoying around corners.

I just welded my new cherokee, and that will be a backup daily driver, if that helps!

Back