• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine still good after fire?

FreemansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever re-used an engine from a burnt vehicle? I found a 99 Cherokee that had an underhood fire and I am curious if the hard parts (head, block, internals) would stil be usable. It looks like the fire was hot enough to burn up all the wiring, plastic, and paint from the hood.

Any thoughts?

Thx again,

JOhn

it depends om how bad it was burnt. if all the wires weren't burnt and most of the paint was still on the hood then i would think it should be fine but it will need to be 100% rebuilt and if i were u i would run a leak down test on each of the cyclinders after it's rebuilt but before u start it so u'll know if ur head sealed right or not cause it (the head) my be warped from the heat i highly doubt u'll have any problems i've used motors that have been badly burnt comparied to how urs sounds and had no trouble after a good rebuild

MTBracer367 said:
it depends om how bad it was burnt. if all the wires weren't burnt and most of the paint was still on the hood then i would think it should be fine but it will need to be 100% rebuilt and if i were u i would run a leak down test on each of the cyclinders after it's rebuilt but before u start it so u'll know if ur head sealed right or not cause it (the head) my be warped from the heat i highly doubt u'll have any problems i've used motors that have been badly burnt comparied to how urs sounds and had no trouble after a good rebuild

Thx for the response. I am mainly needing the head, but $80.00 for the whole engine seemed worth the chance.
John

For $80 I'd go for it.

If the fire wasn't hot enough to start melting aluminum parts and the engine wasn't still running when someone shot a fire extinguisher at it chances are the engine itself is OK, those things aren’t THAT fragile.

Back