• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grind When Braking and Coasting

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday i went off roading and happened to have a lot of rocks hit stuff under my jeep. My control arm mounts are rounded on the edges and my front diff cover has a small dent in it.
Today i found a exhaust hole bc of the tranny bolt and i got that fixed, on my way back i noticed that when i brake hard i feel this grinding noise that i cant pinpoint where its coming from, feels sort of like when the tire rubs agains the fender wall. I washed under the jeep and noticed that my tranny crossmember is a bit out of wack. I have cleaned the brakes completely and checked them aswell as driveshaft condition and its all well. My only guess is that the crossmember is allowing the driveshaft to spin a few degrees cockeyed ? Is this possible, or can this be something else like the axle ?

Thanks
pete

I took off the rear tires and checked the rear drums and they are pretty clean, i sprayed them with brake cleaner and gave her a test drive - the grinding noise is still present and a bit scary as i hope it isnt causing damage .

I also replaceed my transfer case fluid as it was like strawberry shake (i think it had water). I check the tranny fluid and it was uncontaminated as well as the engine oil.

I really think this may be caused by that messed up tranny crossmember, how bad would it have to be to cause a problem ? Or are there any other suggestions.

pete

Well i am a bit lost on what can cause this problem. I debating weather i should just purchase a HD crossmember such as rustys or i should think the problem lies elsewhere.

Let me ask this , how much of the yoke should come out of the tcase with my 2" lift ?

pete

Well for those who care and would be interested in knowing, today i went in my jeep stockpile of junk and found a less wounded crossmember and put it in. Amzingly the grinding noise went away apparently.

This brings me to my next question, if i was to buy another crossmember- would buying one with a 1inch drop hurt me in any way currently. The reason i ask is just in case i decide to go higher in the future i know it will help a bit.

thanks
pete

That sucks about you crossmember. Glad to here you got it diagnosed and fixed up :eeks1:. I'd wouldn't go with the drop. But that's just my $02. Bashed parts do need attention from time to time and maybe a junkyard one is the ticket. How are the lower control arm mounts looking. Peeled back to the bolt heads yet? The fix for me was to straighten them out and then plate then on the bottom/front. Check and lube your front driveshaft too. Good luck with them :firedevil rocks.

Back