• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wheel bearings

DeadHead420

NAXJA Forum User
my rear left wheel is makin a wierd sound , almost like a grinding sound , and i was told that it could be a wheel bearing , how do i check that ? i would have to pull the drum apart right ? any info appreciated , thanks guys.

JOSH

Could be a problem in the drums themself?

Maybe something like the adjustment star spring snapped or something. Have seen it happen before, it can wear into the shoes and end up scraping your drum.

Take the drums off first and investigate.

Another reason why drums SUCK.

You think auto makers would have put discs on ALL wheel right after the "disc brake" was invented.

Who cares if it raised the cost of a vehicle, I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyway since they'd be charging more. So you can't argue that the price was part of the auto makers decision to go 50/50.

If you jack it up and spin it by hand do you hear the sound? While it's jacked up, grab the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and see if it has any play. A little in-out play is normal for a 95 (I peeked at your profile since you didn't say), but side-side is not. Next step of course is to pull the wheel and drum to inspect the brake parts. It could be as simply as the shoes are badly worn or falling apart.

lawsoncl said:
If you jack it up and spin it by hand do you hear the sound? While it's jacked up, grab the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and see if it has any play. A little in-out play is normal for a 95 (I peeked at your profile since you didn't say), but side-side is not. Next step of course is to pull the wheel and drum to inspect the brake parts. It could be as simply as the shoes are badly worn or falling apart.
thanks man i'll check that out

Back